Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lofting the sides

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
739 Views, 13 Replies

lofting the sides

hi 

in the attached project i want to make something like a kitchen tool whose top is larger than the bottom so i thought about using the loft tool and when i used it , it extruden the bottom as a whole. however i dont want it to extrude inside the tool. i just want the sides to enlarge upwards. where did i make the mistake?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
jeff_strater
in reply to: Anonymous

Unfortunately, Loft does not support "hollow" profiles - so, you have to do this in two steps.  Just add one more Loft:

2020-05-16_16-41-21.png

result:

Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 4.41.46 PM.png

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: jeff_strater

is it possible to send the finished project back to me? Because I don't think I understand how the second loft makes a hole!

Message 4 of 14
jeff_strater

certainly.  Here it is.  Basically, the hole is made by selecting "cut" as the operation:

2020-05-16_16-41-21.png

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

I'm writing this before opening the project because I'm on the phone right now. You just basically made another sketch on the same sketch and you made a cut instead of joint?

Message 6 of 14
jeff_strater

here is a screencast:

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

thank you very much 

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous

hi @jeff_strater  ,

i am almost done with the project but i have a little problem. as you can see in the attachment there is a little gap in between the walls of the tool and the lofted part. how can i close that gap? i couldnt do that although i tried a lot. i am attaching the picture and the project below. thank you

Message 9 of 14
jeff_strater

OK, so this will be a bit complex.  There are a couple of ways to do this.  Both use the same feature:  Boundary Fill.  I'll show you the quick/easy way just to get you going.  It involves a workplane that really should not be necessary.  I'm not sure if this produces exactly the geometry you are looking for.  Then, I'll show you what I think the root cause of the need for that workplane - I think you could fix that with a change to one of the loft profiles, but I'll let you look into that.

Boundary Fill lets you define a region that is bounded by surface or solid bodies, or workplanes, and fills in that region.  Unfortunately, the region I think you want to fill in this case has a "leak" in it, so we need to block that leak.  The second workplane does this, but there are probably better ways to get better geometry.

The screencast, unfortunately, does not have any audio (Mac Catalina does not recognize Screencast as an audio recording app), so hopefully it is understandable.  Model is attached

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 10 of 14
Anonymous

I have just seen your reply so Thanks for explanation. If I I have questions again I'll disturb you one more 🙂

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

hi @jeff_strater how do i fix the leak at the bottom you show on the video? again boundary fill?

edit: i tried boundary fill but couldnt do that. could you please show me how to fill that part too? when i finish this last step i ll print that. Thank you

Message 12 of 14
davebYYPCU

The loft cut does not convey the intent you are after.

The 4mm wall thickness is causing the gap with the 5mm in the sketch for the wall loft, and the Sketch 3 alignment.

Lftwlls.PNG

A few ways to fix it, but likely a sketch 3 edit will get you there.

Might help....

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: davebYYPCU

I changed the 4mm into 5 but still the same result. Then I tried to find but there is no sketch 3 in my project 

Message 14 of 14
davebYYPCU

Duh,

first one is no 1, last one of four is no 4, sketch third in the list no 5, will do it.

Go figure.

Try Sketch 5.

Might help....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report