Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lofting a straight line does not remain straight

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Corvin.Huber
524 Views, 13 Replies

Lofting a straight line does not remain straight

Hello!
I am creating a bracket to be attached to a wing-strut.
When lofting profiles along two rails, a straight section of a profile (that should follow the contour of the strut) does not remain straight.
What am I doing wrong?
Thank you!

Labels (1)
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
g-andresen
in reply to: Corvin.Huber

Hi,

Please share the file for reply.

File > export > save as f3d on local drive  > attach to post.

günther

Message 3 of 14
Corvin.Huber
in reply to: g-andresen

Here comes ...

Message 4 of 14

Although I find the results not entirely satisfactory, I'd use a sweep to create side rails and then use surface lofts to create this shape.

TrippyLighting_0-1717426433155.png

EESignature

Message 5 of 14
Corvin.Huber

Servus Peter! 
I wonder why Fusion distorts the planar surface the way it does. I believe it has something to do with the linear distribution of cross-sectional areas ... it appears to be a logical glitch to me.
Thanks you for your approach! It works since the side-rails seem to fix the linear element.
In the meantime I had experimented with creating and outside shape and the extruding the inside shape to cut it out.
Who at SolidWorks would one need to talk to in order to understand this phenomenon?
Cheers,
Corvin

Message 6 of 14

@Corvin.Huber wrote:

Who at SolidWorks would one need to talk to in order to understand this phenomenon?

Fusion is a product of Autodesk.

SolidWorks is a product of Dassault Systems.

You are on the Fusion forum 😉

The explanation is easy. You need side rails to control the edge flow of the loft.

EESignature

Message 7 of 14
Corvin.Huber

This is the erstwhile result:

Message 8 of 14
Corvin.Huber

f3d is here:

Message 9 of 14

Sorry about the mix-up. No offence meant.

Understand your explanation (side rails) but still am intrigued what the program "is thinking". I am pretty sure it has something to do with cross-section area distribution along the length of the rail.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Corvin

Message 10 of 14

Ok. Do you still need help with this?

EESignature

Message 11 of 14

@Corvin.Huber wrote:

Understand your explanation (side rails) but still am intrigued what the program "is thinking". I am pretty sure it has something to do with cross-section area distribution along the length of the rail.

The program creates a loft according to the constraints you give it. If you don't constrain the loft to follow specific edges it won't. It will create its own arbitrary edge.

The last file is different from the first model. I would stay away from conic curves!

I would create the strut profile and Outside contour sketches first.

Then I would extrude (not sweep, I don't know what I was thinking) the Strut profile symmetrically to Bracket_Width.

Then I would create the loft profile sketches.

Intersect-projecting the strut profile and the outside contour into each profile sketch will create a line where the strut profile pierces through the sketch plane and a point where the outside contour pierces through the sketch plane.

Then constrain the profile splines trough those points.

Now you can loft with predictable results.

EESignature

Message 12 of 14

Another tip is to avoid offsetting spline curves. It won't have much of an effect in this design, but an have detrimental effect in other designs.

You can see the "artifacts" in the curvature of the offset spline:

TrippyLighting_0-1717440180307.png

Those aren't present in the original spline.

EESignature

Message 13 of 14

Very interesting detail, Peter!

This (partly) answer a question I have had. I create3d a complex wing shell with lofted wing profiles (which had splines) and tried to offset it. Quite frequently, the offset penetrated through the original surface. It seems that there is a challenge with contour smoothness on rosetted splines.

Thank you for your help!

Corvin

Message 14 of 14
Corvin.Huber

... dang autocorrect. ... answers a question ... offsetted not rosetted ...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report