Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It is very slow to open Fusion 360

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
mearisori
15661 Views, 15 Replies

It is very slow to open Fusion 360

It's too slow to open Fusion 360 without loading any project.It takes 1 minute to load user interface from I click the icon every time.

My hardware is Macbook Pro 2016 with radeon 455 graphic card inside.

I downloaded fusion 360 from official website, not app store(the app store version is even slower).

Is the launch time of the software normal?If not, How can I improve it?

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
mearisori
in reply to: mearisori

Seems like I solved it a little bit.

I found out that if I run Fusion 360 with offline mode, the startup time would be faster, approximately reduce half time to launch.

But it still need 30 seconds to get to user interface.

I still wonder 30 second to launch is normal or not.

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous

15-22 seconds on i5 @ 4.3 GHz, 16 MB, GTX 560Ti, Win 7.

Message 4 of 16
metcalfe.andrew

17th April 2017
The app is OK opening for me, but regularly stops for up to a minute during use. No CPU or GPU issues on the machine - just periodic stalling. It almost looks like the app is checking online every few seconds and there's no server at the other end.

Message 5 of 16

Hi Everyone,

Startup performance for Fusion 360 is something we've spent time investigating and improving, but we are not yet where we'd like to be.

A few environmental things we know of which can trigger slower than expected startup times are:

- First launch after an update (we do some clean up of old unused files, once completed, subsequent launches should be faster)

- User profiles which are stored on network drives (Startup includes a scan of this area on disk to recognize the files available locally, it can be slowed significantly by network communication)

- Low disk space or heavy disk fragmentation (primarily for HDD rather than SSD)

In addition, the first time Fusion is launched after a reboot is slower than subsequent launches, subsequent launches make use of caching at the OS level which can have a significant impact. 

As well as this, there are cases where some of the startup and initialization tasks involved in launching Fusion can bump into each other and cause delays. We're constantly working to spot these and clean them up, but you may have run into some that we haven't yet solved. If anyone from this thread could share log files with me I will take a look at them and look for specific clues as to what may be happening (we record a few timing statistics for the startup process in logs to enable this type of investigation).

For comparison, on my system (2.5Ghz i7 MacBook Pro with 16Gb Ram), the following are typical startup times I see in logs :

Native Mac -  (total 16.115s diff 16.115s) PERF: DashboardReady 16.1145s (time from start), version: 2.0.2938

Windows (via Parallels) - (total 12.697s diff 12.697s) PERF: DashboardReady 12.6972s (time from start), version: 2.0.2938

I haven't looked into why Windows is faster than Mac on my hardware yet... 

Regarding the case where Fusion stalls for a minute in the middle of use, we did resolve an issue with these symptoms a couple of months ago, could you confirm that you are running the latest release ? (2.0.2938) If so, please forward your logs so I can investigate.

Regards,

Matt Pooley

On Behalf of the Fusion Dev Team

Message 6 of 16
bje714
in reply to: matt.pooley

I have quite a bit of trouble getting Fusion to start, often having to end task it a couple times before it finally opens.  It seems that autocad component has something to do with it.  If you let me know where to find the log files I will share them.  

Message 7 of 16
matt.pooley
in reply to: bje714

Hi @bje714,

If you can get Fusion up and running, you can collect log files through the Diagnostic Log Files option in the help menu (shown below).

Diagnostic.jpg

If Fusion won't launch, the log files are in one of the following locations :

Windows - %LOCALAPPDATA%\Autodesk\Autodesk Fusion 360\<Your User ID>\logs

Mac - ~/Library/Application Support/Autodesk/Autodesk Fusion 360/<Your User ID>/logs

If you are using an Apple App Store install of Fusion the log files are in a sandboxed location that is challenging to track down, if this is the way you are using Fusion let me know and I'll look for a good answer.

Regards,

Matt.

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous

I’ve been using Fusion happily for a couple of years - yes it’s very very slow to load and sometimes has to have more than one attempt at loading.

But today it failed entirely and repeatedly to load, even after a re install from App Store and a re boot of the system. It’s a 2016 iMac with all latest updates to OS and Fusion 360. What should I do now? 

Message 9 of 16
matt.pooley
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

Apologies for the lack of reply (have been out of the office for a few weeks), if you haven't solved this problem yet, then it would be good to collect some logs to better understand what is happening for you. Since you are on the Appstore version of Fusion, they are stored in a slightly different location (below) :

/Users/<username>/Library/Containers/com.autodesk.mas.fusion360/Data/Library/Application Support/Autodesk/Autodesk Fusion 360/<someguid>/logs

The usual suspects for this type of problem would be network connectivity or some bad state in your local file cache, both would be expected to generate some hints in the logs.

Regards,

Matt Pooley

Message 10 of 16
Anonymous

Dear Matt,

Many thanks for your reply.

Since my message, Fusion now crashes while loading every time. I even deleted and reinstalled it. The newly installed version crashes while loading too. This is on an iMac from 2016, running latest Mac OS. I’m stuck!

What should I do?

With best wishes and many thanks in advance!

Malcolm Messiter
Message 11 of 16
matt.pooley

Hi Malcolm,

Sorry to hear the problem is still happening, were you able to find any log files in the path I mentioned ? These might give us hints as to where in the load process things are failing. 

Also, could you describe what you see when things fail, do you see the Fusion splashscreen appear or does the app just disappear from your process list without anything displayed ?

Regards,

Matt.

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous

Hi Having just installed Fusion 360 I noticed it was very slow opening. I ran the Compatibility troubleshooter on the FusionLauncher.exe and it seems to have sorted the problem. Opening time is more than halved for me.

I am running windows 10 but the troubleshooter applied windows 8.1 settings.

Message 13 of 16
deadraidcore

I am having a very similar problem of very slow startups on my laptop and desktop (both very new, and slow down started at different times). One thing i noticed is that if i force directx9 rendering the startup is noticeably faster (still not close to what it was at its peak).  Just a thought but could this be a cache issue, like the slow down IE used to have back in the day when the cache folder would grow beyond ~2 gigs?

laptop specs

windows 10 (was windows 7 had same issue with slow startup after a time)

intel I7

8 gigs ram

nvidia MX150

ssd hard drive

Desktop

windows 10 (again was windows 7 same thing)

intel I7 

32 gigs ram

nvidia RTX1080

samsung 850 evo ssd

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: deadraidcore

Just another report on slow opening. About 45 seconds just to get the splash screen, another minute for the splash screen to close and the app frame to open. Another minute for the app to be ready to run. This is in offline mode.

Win 7 64 bit. i7 quad core, SSD drive, nVidia 660M graphics.

Task manager shows 78% physical memory used, a couple of percent CPU usage.

This was not the first time I ran it since the latest boot, but it's been a couple of hours. If I keep opening, closing, re-opening, the full startup takes about 30 seconds after 4 or 5 open/close cycles.  But then wait a couple of hours and it's back to about 3 minutes.

Message 15 of 16
ddbacker

I have the same problem after not using autodesk fusion fo a year and after an obligatory update (product license changed in "personal"): "disc use" around 5 tot 15 MB/s, my computer (8M RAM, intel I5 (not to bad ?), win 8.1, > 600 MB memory still available) becomes very  very slow (even for typing this text I had to wait a bit in the beginning..).

I didn't have the problem in the past, before the update - same computer, same win. 8.1 etc...

What's going on - and - much more important - how to help ?: reinstall ? let it run for a while ?

PS I cannot even apporach my own data/designs (not active) for 10 min now....

thanks for any reaction.

Message 16 of 16
Silv3rDragon

Seems to have slowed down a bit with updates over the last 2 months.  Is this still being looked at and improved?  Computer full shutdown and restart (to the point of being able to open programs from desktop again) is 22 seconds and launching fusion alone takes 30 seconds with CPU and GPU usage basically at 0%.  Fusion 360 launches the same from several accounts and computers in the shop.

Mine running on: 32GB RAM, m.2 SSD, Ryzen 5 5600H

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report