Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with circular pattern

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
1283 Views, 15 Replies

Issues with circular pattern

I'm having trouble with my circular pattern here.  I'm not sure why it's not doing what it should.  This circular pattern worked for all of my other circular pattern extrudes.  Unfortunately it's not working for this one.  Anyone have any insights or is this a bug?

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
davebYYPCU
in reply to: Anonymous

Why would it be a bug?

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: davebYYPCU

As you can see in the video the pattern isn't made once I click ok...  But it does have the pattern visible as a preview.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous

Oh no!  It looks like the screencast didn't post.  Here it is:

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous

Anyone??

Message 6 of 16
TheCADWhisperer

File>Export and Attach your *.f3d file here.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

Thanks! Here you go!

Message 8 of 16
jhackney1972

I "Removed" the two corner bodies that did not have the extruded text.  I then had to establish a pattern axis, at least I could not find one, then I patterned the body which contained the extruded text.  Model is attached.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: jhackney1972

There is an axis kinda hidden in there but I can understand why it would be difficult to find. 

I do want to know what you mean by removing the two corner bodies.  I don't seem to see which ones you are referring to.

Message 10 of 16
jhackney1972

I knew I should have created a screencast in the first place, a picture (moving picture) is worth a thousand words.  It is attached.  I had to remove the corner round posts so they would not be duplicated when I did the circular pattern of a "body".  You were trying to use circular pattern of a feature. 

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous

Thank you for the screencast!  I learned a couple more things from this cast than I was expecting.  I like your line-to-find-axis technique!  Thanks again!!

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous

So I just re-watched your screencast and was hoping you might be able to tell me the difference between removing and deleting a body.  If you remove a body are you able to replace it?  Or is there some other difference?

Also, how did you know that it was better to pattern the body rather than the extrusion feature?

Message 13 of 16
jhackney1972

For a better explanation of the advantages of using Remove instead of Deleting a body, I am going to give you this link where one of the Autodesk Fusion 360 service personnel explains it better than I ever could.

As far as using a body for the pattern, since your extruded text was created from a sketch, the pattern will fail trying to do it with the extrusion feature.  The pattern cannot find the sketch, which was used to create the extrusion, in order to complete the pattern.  Using the body will work because once a feature is added to a body, the body contains all the information it needs to be patterned.  This is my understanding, I am sure others on the forum may have a better explanation.

John Hackney
Retired

Message 14 of 16
jhackney1972

Sorry, I forgot to answer your one question.  NO, removing a body, as opposed to deleting a body, will not allow you to replace it.  Of course you could use Undo immediately but not after you saved it.

John Hackney
Retired

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous

Oh.  I'm still curious regarding when you'd want to use the Remove command as opposed to the Delete command.  Why would you prefer one over the other in a particular situation?

Message 16 of 16
jhackney1972

It all depends on your model and how a body supports another body.  Take a look at the screencast of a simple model which I hope will explain the logic of when to use remove as opposed to delete.

John Hackney
Retired

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report