Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing STEP file that was exported from autocad

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
pglelkoS9VRX
285 Views, 2 Replies

Importing STEP file that was exported from autocad

Hello,

I have a 3D topographical survey that was sent to me as a dwg file and I am trying to import it to Fusion 360 as a STEP file.

I tried importing it straight as a DWG file but using "Upload" > Select Files  > selected the appropriate file > Upload;  however, after uploading, it does not show all the elevation graduations or some of the other information.

After some research, I found that I should be able to use AutoCAD Mechanical 2020 to open the DWG file and export it as a STEP file and then open it in Fusion 360. Again, however, when I do this it does not work or at least it does not work correctly. There are 21 un-stiched bodies and a bunch of individual components in the window, but on the main area of Fusion 360 there are just what appear to be what look like arrow heads from dimensional marking or something. I tried connecting some of the topographical elevation lines in AutoCAD mechanical so that there would be some "closed" shapes, then exported again as a STEP, but I saw no difference.

I have attached some files. The DWG file is the original, the STEP file is what is produced when I used AutoCAD Mechanical to export a STEP file (however, it was removed because it doesn't match it extension according to the system) and the f3D file (exported in Fusion to post here) is what I see when I open the STEP file in Fusion 360

I know I can import it as a canvas, scale it and then trace all the lines, but not really wanting to do that unless it is the only possible option. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Paul

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
g-andresen
in reply to: pglelkoS9VRX

Hi Paul,

what is your goal?
The DWG (multilayer) contains lines at different height levels in same sketch.
But as you said, some lines are not closed.
If everything may be on one level, the export as DXF from ACAD maybe a choice.

It took a lot of time but I just made it with DXF 2013.

günther

Message 3 of 3
pglelkoS9VRX
in reply to: g-andresen

Hi Günther,

My goal is to make a solid 3D model in Fusion 360 from the topographical DWG file (since it is just lines). This file is of a plot of land and I want to model the plot so that I can see how and where a house can be placed. I hope I explained that appropriately. 

Everything could be on one level I guess. I could then use different layers of offset planes to build the different heights to make it back into a 3D model maybe. I would have to experiment with that. Did you "flatten" the DWG different heights in AutoCAD 2013 ??

Thank you for replying.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report