Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make holes for letters bigger?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
ben.ng9JJC2
324 Views, 1 Reply

How to make holes for letters bigger?

Hello,

I'm fairly new to CAD work, so I'm sorry if this is a fairly simple question. Anyways, I have inserts in letters that I'm trying to slot into a different piece. However, when I print it out, the letters won't fit! Whether this is due to warpage or anything else, I was wondering if there was a way I could make the holes for the letters bigger. This would also include either making the inner part of the O and A smaller or outright removing them.

What do you guys think would be the best way of handling this?

Thanks in advance!

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
jodom4
in reply to: ben.ng9JJC2

Hey ben.ng9JJC2,

The problem you're running into is what's called tolerance. Basically, your 3D printer can't print at the level of precision that would be necessary for the male and female parts of the insert to be exactly the same dimension. What you'll need to do is make the holes slightly larger or the inserts slightly smaller. I find a pretty reliable tolerance for most FDM 3D printers is about .15mm (offset).

I'd recommend taking my free intermediate 3D printing class on Instructables. It covers this concept in detail and shows you how to apply it to F360.

https://www.instructables.com/class/Intermediate-3D-Printing-Class/

Jonathan Odom
Community Manager + Content Creator
Oregon, USA

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report