Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I move a sketch on a single axis?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
hazymat
2008 Views, 9 Replies

How can I move a sketch on a single axis?

Oops, I posted this into Fusion Support, instead of Design Validate and Document forum. Not sure how / if I can move this post into the correct location?

This is a beginner question, I think it may be related to my not fully understanding constraints, but not sure.

See my screencast with audio below: 

Labels (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
jhackney1972
in reply to: hazymat

Please share your model and the forum users can help you accomplish your task.  If you do not know how to attach your model, open it in Fusion360, select the File menu and then choose Export and save the .F3D file to your hard drive. Then use the Attachments section of a reply forum post to attach it.

Attachment.jpg

John Hackney, Retired
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
hazymat
in reply to: jhackney1972

Thanks, I have added the model to the original post

Message 4 of 10
TrippyLighting

Simply  don't use the move tool in a sketch. 

Dimension your sketch properly and then change the dimensions.

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
hazymat
in reply to: TrippyLighting

I understand how to change dimensions in a sketch, but how do I "batch" rotate multiple shapes within the sketch?

If that's not possible, what's the best way to achieve this? Do I need to draw the sketch with the relative circles and rectangles in different positions to the original, i.e. start the drawing from scratch?

Message 6 of 10
jhackney1972

Take a look at the Screencast.  After you rotate and move the sketch, make sure you go back and constrain it in place with dimensions and constraints.

John Hackney, Retired
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
jhackney1972

In one of your move attempts, this dimension is preventing it.  Remove it and then the move is successful.

Dimension Lock.jpg

John Hackney, Retired

EESignature

Message 8 of 10
TrippyLighting

That cannot really be done the way that is often done in graphics design software.  Fusion 360 does not per se have sketch blocks. You'll basically have to greate those yourself.

Youll have to create referene geoetry, a line or a point, that you associate those sketch elements with by constraining and dimensioning. Then you can dimension that refeence from the sketch origin.

Sounds a little abstact but for translatory movements its pretty simple.

If you want to rotate stuff, make sure not to use the horizontal/vertcal constraint 😉

EESignature

Message 9 of 10
hazymat

Thank you very much for your screencast and additional comment. I'm missing something which is clearly quite obvious though, which is how exactly to remove that dimension.

When I click on the dimension the line goes blue and I can hit the delete button on the keyboard. And the line in the sketch is deleted.

hazymat_0-1610491615056.png

However, simply deleting this line still doesn't allow it to be moved like you showed in your screencast. Have I missed a step?

Again very sorry if this is obvious but I can't work it out. Thank you

Message 10 of 10
hazymat

I think this is fixed now - first two times I tried to remove that line and wasn't able to move the sketch still, however on the third try it miraculously worked, so I have no idea what was happening there. (I work with computers enough to know it wasn't really "miraculous" and something else must have happened, I just cannot work out what!)

Thanks again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report