Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hairdryer Handle Help!

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
367 Views, 12 Replies

Hairdryer Handle Help!

Hello everyone,

I've been given a task to create a handle for a hairdryer from an engineering drawing.

I seem to have created all other parts fairly easy, but my mind has completely been swayed when it's come to designing the handle.

I've tried sweep, extrude, shell, even the free form (I've never used this before). None has worked.

Please find attached the engineering drawing, as well as my Fusion 360 drawing.

Please could someone advise on what steps I should do next to make it rounded, with a thickness of 40mm.

Feel free to send over videos explaining, because I feel like this may be way better.

Thank you,

Umamah

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
g-andresen
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

Please share the file.

File > export > save as f3d on local drive  > attach it to the next post.

günther

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: g-andresen

Hello,

I have attached the file as f3d now.

Thank you @g-andresen 

Message 4 of 13
TrippyLighting

The dimensions in that "engineering" drawing are not enough to fully define (dimension/constrain) a sketch.

To get the specific shape, the only thing you need is a symmetric extrude and a fillet. 

TrippyLighting_0-1625061531217.png

EESignature

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Hello,

Sorry just to confirm it is for education so it's just been quickly designed it won't be as it is in industry.

Please could you let me know which dimensions you chose, mine looks quite boxy.

Are there any other ways such as surface modelling to create this or a sweep?

Thank you

Message 6 of 13
TrippyLighting

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

Sorry just to confirm it is for education so it's just been quickly designed it won't be as it is in industry.

Please could you let me know which dimensions you chose, mine looks quite boxy.

Are there any other ways such as surface modelling to create this or a sweep?

Thank you

I had assumed this is for educational purposes, but thanks for the confirmation.

Look through the timeline of the attached model to see how I created the shape. No sweep or surface modeling needed whatsoever. 

EESignature

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous

Thank you for sending this over to me.

We did the same size and fillets too.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous

Hi @g-andresen 

Please see below, Trippy has shown me one way which is extrude and fillet.

Are there any other ways of creating the shape using a cut away or maybe an extrude to shape method?

Just thinking of other possible ways of me teaching different features to people.

Thank you

Message 9 of 13
TrippyLighting

@Anonymous wrote:

Are there any other ways of creating the shape using a cut away or maybe an extrude to shape method?

Just thinking of other possible ways of me teaching different features to people.

Extruding and filleting are the simplest possible ways to create that geometry. Not only is there no need to do this wit a different technique, it would be bad practice. We should always strive to generate a given but of geometry with the simplest method available.

If you want to show students different modeling techniques, you need to find an example with more complex geometry, that would justify using a sweep, or loft. My suggestion would be NOT to look at engineering drawings, because in my experience (30 years), the vast majority of engineers don't have a good sense for forms and shapes.

EESignature

Message 10 of 13
Anonymous

Hello @TrippyLighting 

Thank you for your message.

I agree with you regarding simplicity, I will have to look at another model for the other features. Thought I'd be able to get two in one.

I agree with you on the engineering drawings, unfortunately it is part of the curriculum specification. I come from a product design background, so normally I'd design according to what looks nice (typically), more forms and shapes. However, I'm learning as I go along. What do you think the best way of cad/drawings are when it comes to engineering. I can suggest it to curriculum mentors going forward. 

Thanks

Message 11 of 13
TheCADWhisperer

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree with you on the engineering drawings, 

I'm learning as I go along.

I disagree.  I have been creating beautiful engineering drawings for nearly 30 yrs (I worked out on the shop floor first, for 8 yrs).

Follow this sequence of 8 videos to get started (there is a link to the engineering drawings - works of art, things of beauty).

https://youtu.be/YiXJWB0NHxo

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

Hi @TheCADWhisperer 

Thanks for your message, I guess with every area there are pros and cons, with design students we didn't need to focus on engineering drawings as such. With engineering students I do have to, however the engineering drawings which are supplied to us aren't the best, so it makes it difficult for me to understand and implement. 

Thanks for the link!

I'll definitely watch these, transition from SW to Fusion is also a new thing for me, but we learn as we go along!

Message 13 of 13

@Anonymous My statement was NOT in reference to engineering drawings and generally was probably a bit too harsh. 

I would not consider the screenshot that was shared in this thread an "Engineering Drawing".

My understanding of Engineering Drawings is that their main purpose is to convey information so a part can be manufactured. Dimensions, tolerances (GD&T) , surface finishes, special treatments etc. A good Engineering Drawing can be a piece of art! Early on in my career as a Mechatronics Engineer designing machinery I created many of those myself, first with pencil and Ink on paper on a huge drawing board, later on in CAD (Catia).

In my line of work  I see a lot of product drawings across a wide range of industries. That often involves injection molded plastic parts, aluminum die casted pieces sand casted stuff  etc. The amount of times I've seen base geometry filleted to absolute death with incorrect sequence and without regards for visual appearance, is incredible. Actually It is very rare to see things where you can recognize that some thought as given to  appearance, I guess one of the reasons is that  a lot of those engineers only know how to use solid-modeling techniques. A chord fillet (perfectly possible with solid modeling and only a click away) seems is a foreign object, a loft is completely out of reach. Surfacing ? what is that ?

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report