Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fusion360 Soul Crushingly Slow - High End Hardware

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
1903 Views, 15 Replies

Fusion360 Soul Crushingly Slow - High End Hardware

Hi Everyone,

I have desperately tried to avoid posting yet another post about slow fusion360 performance, but I just don't know what to do anymore. I've spent no less than 10 hours over the last 2 days reading pretty much every post about slow performance and help article trying various things suggested to no avail. 

My system:

Windows 10 Pro 64bit

512gb NVMe PCIe SSD, 1TB WD HDD 

Core i7-8700 6 core 12 thread @3.2GHz 

16gb DDR4

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8gb GDDR6

LG 27" 4k @60Hz via display-port

From what I've read fusion360 does not have any optimizations for workstation cards like Quadro and this is why I picked a GeForce RTX card to save some money. If this is not that case, I am willing to replace it with a proper workstation card if this will solve my performance issues.

Based on the hardware I've read people running fusion360 on, my system should absolutely fly. It doesn't, it's completely miserable to use. It's performance is so terrible that I am having a really hard time thinking of specific examples to give since it's just all around constantly horrible to use because of how slow it runs.

Opening files, editing sketches, editing extrudes, etc. all result in several minutes(I've counting near 23 minutes before, no exaggeration) of slowness for no apparent reason. Fusion will freeze up, change different colors, show that it's not responding at the top while it thinks about working.

I just don't know what to do anymore because I've tried so much, updating drivers, bios update, disable intel integrated graphics in bios, reinstalled fusion, changed scaling for fusion, and more and nothing seems to help. 

One thing that stands out to me as being a problem (or at least not helping) is in fusion under graphics diagnostics, there is weird and missing information for the driver. The GPU driver version doesn't seem to be the correct one, and the date is missing. I installed the most current drivers when I installed the card yesterday, and I've verified this 2 more times. So I don't know why fusion isn't seeing this? I previously used fusion on my macbook pro with windows 10 bootcamp, I decided to move fusion to this desktop because I thought it would run better since my macbook has a old gtx750M in it. However, fusion reported the correct gpu driver information when I had it installed on my macbook pro.

Please help me someone!

Thank you,

Kevin

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
HughesTooling
in reply to: Anonymous

The graphics problem has come up a lot of times, always windows 10 and a GeForce card ( I've not seen any reports of problems with Quadro cards). @James.Youmatz is there a fix for this and has it been logged as a bug? One workaround is to set the directx version to 9.0 in preferences but some have reported a performance hit compared to a few months ago. There seems to have been an update to either windows or GeForce drives that caused the problem, probably windows as I have a geforce card and it works fine with win 8.1 and win 7.0. It would be a shame to update the card if this can be fixed, also no guarantee a Quadro can will fix the problem.

As for any more help with your problem we'll need more info. Can you make a screencast demonstrating the problems and share a f3d file that has problems with performance. Hard to tell if the problem is something you're doing, a bug or you just asking too much from Fusion. You should be OK with a few hundred components.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 16
michael

don't waste money on a quadro it wont help geforce cards are the best value for fusion due to directx 11 being used. fusion is fine for me 99% of the time on a range of my computers. even a 2nd gen core2 duo with a gt710 and 4gb ram. my workstation is a AMD R7 2700x overclocked to 4.3ghz, 2xGtx1080ti and 16gb 3200mhz ram, 256gb samsung 960pro NVME. only slow down I notice in general use is opening and saving designs which i think is due to the cloud sync. One thing I have noticed since a few months ago (cant pinpoint exactly when it started since i'm not a everyday user) is sketches grind to a crawl once it starts getting even a little bit complicated like trim a line and wait 5-10 seconds for it to make up its mind even on my fastest pc. I don't remember it ever being that bad. 

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: HughesTooling

Thanks Mark,

I tried attaching a screencast to my original post, I guess it didn't save. Here is a link: https://autode.sk/2M6dKH8

Earlier I tried manually switching the driver to use directX 11 and that didn't produce any noticeable improvement. At your suggestion I've tried manually switching to directX 9 and it didn't seem to do make any improvement either. Auto-Select, DirectX 11, and DirectX 9 all appear to result in the same performance. I'm not much of a gamer, but I did install steam and installed a few games that are fairly recent releases and the RTX 2070 does appear to be working quite well, it just seems like fusion can't use it for some reason. GPU-Z monitor shows the GPU core clock idling down to around 300MHz while fusion is freezing up so I don't think it's really doing much.

Attached is the file I was using in the screencast, please let me know if there is anything else I could provide to assist a solution.

Also, the CAM (now called manufacture) portion of fusion is even worse then the model as far as performance. I considered making a similar screencast showing this but I think it would be 15-20 minutes long and mostly just watching fusion freeze up. It's especially slow at editing an already made tool path, say if I wanted to go back and change the depth or feed rate. It's also very slow at generating the tool path the first time.

thanks,

Kevin

Message 5 of 16
michael

Whats your cpu usage and clock speed when its doing this?

ctrl+shift+esc then more details then performance tab.

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: michael

Michael, it's very low, like 15-20% at max. It mostly stays around 7-10% and will spike up a little higher occasionally. I don't really have any other programs or services running at the same time either, just windows file explorer and chrome.

Message 7 of 16
michael

I've tried to download your file to check its performance on one of my machines but is not working. could you share a a360 link?

Message 8 of 16
HughesTooling

@michael Are your PCs running Windows 10 with a GeForce card? 

@Anonymous I downloaded your file, it took a while to load because of the CAM but once loaded I have no problems editing the sketches. Not sure it's a fair test though as I don't have some of the fonts you've used so Fusion switches them to  arial. One suggestion in the cam is use more than one op, I know selection slows badly if you try selecting a lot of edges. Maybe use one op for each line, you'll probably end up with a more efficient toolpath as well.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 16
michael

@HughesTooling

Yes I have a range around the workshop from bottom of the range to top of the range last gen all different cpus and gpus but all geforce cards have a gt710, gt1030, gtx1050 and gtx1080ti. I'm happy to do some testing but cant get the file to work for me it just downloads as a 18Mb nothing file with the extension .FILE

Message 10 of 16
michael

@Anonymous @HughesTooling

Sorted it windows had blocked the file I unblocked it and changed the extension and it uploaded fine. took ages to load the cam references but I can edit the the sketches almost instantly no lag or processing time. Thats on a system with a Amd ryzen 7 1700 cpu 16Gb Ram and a Geforce gtx1050ti 4GbVram (far from a high end card) editing the extrude it a bit interesting the program does nothing for like 10 seconds and the side bar goes black (common) cpu usage low then says fusion not responding then cpu usage goes to 100% for a second then bam everything comes back and its open for editing still only 25 seconds total from selecting edit feature to being able to edit.

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous

@michael@HughesTooling Wow! I really appreciate you both spending the time to help me figure this out!

@HughesTooling Forgive me I am still learning fusion and the terminology associated with this stuff, what do you mean exactly by using more than one op? I am all for simplifying the tool path if possible.

@michael Thank you for taking the time to test the file, it sounds like the behavior of fusion is very similar as far as the not responding and black bar, but for some reason my system just takes significantly longer to complete.

To be perfectly honest,  I don't think I have enough experience with fusion and cnc work in general to judge if this file should run slow or not. I certainly understand that there is a point where any system would struggle to load a complex design, I just thought this was fairly basic with only a dozen or so lines of text and rounded shape with a fillet on the edge.

Message 12 of 16
HughesTooling

@Anonymous wrote:

@HughesTooling Forgive me I am still learning fusion and the terminology associated with this stuff, what do you mean exactly by using more than one op? I am all for simplifying the tool path if possible.

What I mean by an op is a machining operation. At the moment you have a single op for all the text, try having a single op for each line of text.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous

@HughesTooling Thanks Mark, I'll give that a go. It makes sense that doing it this way would improve the tool path because right now it sort of moves all over the place.

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous

@Anonymous @michael Did either of you happen to work out a fix for these performance issues since the last post in this thread a few days ago? I am experiencing the same issue and am running similar specs to both of you. I haven't put in a lot of hours with Fusion360 yet, but I notice it most when sketches get the least bit complicated. Wondering if there is some setting hiding somewhere that would correct this.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit

512gb NVMe PCIe SSD

Ryzen 2700x @~4-4.3GHz

16 GB DDR4 @3200MHz

LG 27" 4k @60Hz via display-port

For comparisons sake, I use SolidWorks at work on a laptop and have a lot of experience with CAD between SolidWorks and Pro-E/Creo. I know it's a large leap to compare these premium CAD packages to Fusion360, but I would generally expect a large hit in performance like this when working with something like complex surfacing, not a sketch with a lot of lines. I just tried installing Fusion360 and opening my model on my work pc to compare, and experienced a similar lag with a very brief test edit to the sketch. Obviously, I can't use SolidWorks on my work pc to model my personal DIY projects, so I started using Fusion360 ~1 month ago.

Work PC:

Win 7 64 bit

Intel Xeon E3-1505M v5 @2.80Ghz

1TB NVMe SSD

32 GB ram @?MHz

Quadro M1200 4 GB GDDR5

2x 27" Dell 4k monitors

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I have desperately tried to avoid posting yet another post about slow fusion360 performance, but I just don't know what to do anymore. I've spent no less than 10 hours over the last 2 days reading pretty much every post about slow performance and help article trying various things suggested to no avail. 

My system:

Windows 10 Pro 64bit

512gb NVMe PCIe SSD, 1TB WD HDD 

Core i7-8700 6 core 12 thread @3.2GHz 

16gb DDR4

LG 27" 4k @60Hz via display-port

@michael wrote:

...AMD R7 2700x overclocked to 4.3ghz, 2xGtx1080ti and 16gb 3200mhz ram, 256gb samsung 960pro NVME. only slow down I notice in general use is opening and saving designs which i think is due to the cloud sync. One thing I have noticed since a few months ago (cant pinpoint exactly when it started since i'm not a everyday user) is sketches grind to a crawl once it starts getting even a little bit complicated like trim a line and wait 5-10 seconds for it to make up its mind even on my fastest pc. I don't remember it ever being that bad. 

Message 15 of 16
HughesTooling

In another thread someone found a fix for his problem, see here. It links to another thread here.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 16 of 16
Anonymous

@HughesTooling Thanks! I'll try this when I get home

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report