Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fusion cannot "solve" svg file imports after last update

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
robertef3
549 Views, 17 Replies

Fusion cannot "solve" svg file imports after last update

I import a lot of svg files to extrude into components to use as stl files for 3D printing. The process quit working properly after the last software update. I tried a blank document and svg files that worked before and I get an error window popup that tells me it "failed to solve" and that I should try revising dimensions or constraints. It has a place to click for more info but all that does is close the popup window.

The svg still imports but regions that were previously selectable to extrude spill into other areas making it impossible to extrude the svg parts. I tried breaking the svg files up into smaller components but they still fail with the same message.

At least for me, this totally blocks importing svg files. I have tried scaling the svg in the program I use to create it but so far no luck getting it to import. The svg files all import properly into Blender though with no issues so I think they are good and the program I use (CorelDraw) to create the svg files (1.1 format but I've also tried version 1.0 with no luck) has not been updated since everything worked properly before.

Everything worked. We got a software update. And now it doesn't work - at least not for me.

Tags (3)
Labels (1)
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
rhydian.yeoman
in reply to: robertef3

The exact same thing for me since the last update. I'm importing simple SVG files from Inkscape and I have the same "Failed to solve" popup message which dissapears very quickly. Something has definitely broken somewhere for SVG import.

Message 3 of 18
g-andresen

Hi,

please share the SVG file for reply

günther

Message 4 of 18
robertef3

More info and an svg to test. Only thing is I've now tried SVG files exported from CorelDraw and Inkscape - both throw the failed to solve error.

But, this morning I booted my computer, loaded Fusion, and tried importing an SVG - IT WORKED - but only the very first time. Exiting Fusion and restarting it didn't fix it though. Subsequent attempts to import an SVG using the same file fail. I haven't tried rebooting and another fresh start to test that but will after I post this and will report back.

Here's the SVG I created this morning that loaded first time but not afterwards.

Message 5 of 18
robertef3

Using the file uploaded in my previous post, I tried a few reboots (not power off - just rebooting) and in three trials it wouldn't import properly and would throw the fail message. But another attempt did work properly and imported without the fail message. No idea why it doesn't behave exactly the same every time.

Each trial this morning was into a clean sheet with nothing else already in it. First thing once the program opens I would try the import.

Every time I've imported the SVG files that I've been working on that fail into other programs they import and look fine.

Will try some more with the file I was trying to work on 

Message 6 of 18
g-andresen

Hi,

Note: disable "Profiles" in sketch palette

günther

Message 7 of 18
robertef3

Multiple tries with the files I'm trying to use which are significantly more complicated than the alien SVG I uploaded here and can't get it to import.

Don't know if it matters much but when the alien would import successfully, my CPU fans wouldn't spin up too high and the import would complete quickly. When the same file throws an import error, the prompt is the blue spinning circle and is up a few seconds longer and the CPU fan spins up noticeably higher and longer than when the import is successful.

Message 8 of 18
robertef3
in reply to: g-andresen

@g-andresen - Hey Gunther, thanks so much for looking into this. I tried deselecting Profile first but then took out everything except Sketch Grid since I use that for centering. Still failing here for me.

That SVG file does work for me occasionally as I outlined in another post but it still has been failing pretty reliably even deselecting Profile, Constraints, and even everything else. Actually it fails when I deselect Profile when loading the SVG. I get that same popup saying it failed

Are you able to reliably import the SVG multiple times because like I said, I got one good import after booting my computer?

Message 9 of 18
robertef3

@g-andresen - I tried to follow your video but get stuck picking the tool for the trace. I don't find a pencil and other tools complain about the wrong size or tolerance or some such. I apologize but I'm not well-versed in Fusion and just know enough to (usually) get by.

Anyway, haven't been able to crack this yet and get reliable results importing SVG. Hopefully the Autodesk folks will address this and get it sorted. It's definitely way different behavior from what I used to see and nothing was mentioned about SVG files in the update notes so I'm guessing it's unintentional.

Message 10 of 18
HughesTooling

I have reported this bug to autodesk and this thread. Also I have a PC that's not been updated yet and your file opens fine with profile in about 2 seconds.

HughesTooling_0-1717523531276.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 11 of 18
robertef3

Hey @HughesTooling, thanks for this! A couple of questions - you got no "fail" message when you imported it? And after importing you are able to select various regions to extrude without the area marked for extrusion spilling outside the boundary of the area you selected to extrude?

I'm pretty convinced it's a bug especially with trying other SVG files that worked properly just days before that now won't. Others on another BBS for users doing similar 3D printing are having the same issue there too.

I'm curious about @g-andresen's method in Fusion and if it "heals" the SVG. If so that could be a workaround until Autodesk gets it sorted?

I'm guessing you're holding off on updating? 😉

Message 12 of 18
robertef3

And we appear to have a workaround that is very tedious but it may help Autodesk troubleshoot it faster to see what this user found: https://forum.bambulab.com/t/possible-fusion-bug-with-svg-files/79226/15

In his post he also says he's seen this issue for a while. I've had other issues with my own SVG files but had things pretty well sorted and once they worked, they were good. With this bug even SVG files that would open fine now do not.

Thanks to all who have been helping on this!

Message 13 of 18
g-andresen

Hi,

@robertef3 wrote:

I'm curious about @g-andresen's method in Fusion and if it "heals" the SVG. If so that could be a workaround until Autodesk gets it sorted?

1. My approach is one possible way to use SVG in Fusion.
I realize that SVG as an interchange format will never be free from misinterpretation, just like other formats that offer such possibility.

2. Autodesk is faced with the problem of providing an import process that can handle a variety of SVG interpretations.
This import will never be error-free given the inconsistent rules for creating SVG data.

günther

Message 14 of 18
Phil.E

@g-andresen @HughesTooling Thanks for posting and for all the help you are providing, and sorry for the inconvenience while this gets sorted.

Message 3 on this post shows that the developers are looking at the issue.

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 15 of 18
robertef3

placeholder

Message 16 of 18
HughesTooling

Someone came up with a workaround in another thread, if you are a commercial or educational user you can use the browser version of Fusion to import SVG files. I guess this only works because the browser version has net been updated yet so could stop working at any time.

I gave it a try with the SVG from this thread and the import is fast and works without error. Note you need to upload the SVG to a project in your hub.

HughesTooling_0-1717661124732.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 17 of 18

Hi @robertef3 

Thanks for reporting this issue to us.
Now we have deployed a fix for this issue with our latest update 2.0.19440, please update Fusion to latest version to avoid this issue.

Thanks,
Sameer Babar.
Autodesk Fusion Team.

Message 18 of 18

Hey @sameer_babarNJS6C, thanks so much for the speedy fix!

I was just trying it and it seems to work with one caveat - all the parts of my design are selectable and extrudable without the cannot solve error, but selecting the background includes all the other parts of the design.

I suspect I just need to refine my sequence or something to make everything work like it used to, but I used to be able to select the "background" in a design and it wouldn't include the imported SVG regions. If I add a boundary to the SVG like a circle or square, then I can select the background between the parts of the design and the boundary and extrude as before.

Something is still not quite the same as before but it's very workable now and I can select parts and background with this workaround. This behavior may actually be the better way though. Without a border defining the edge of the SVG image, the background isn't really defined and this now forces defining it.

Thanks again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report