Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fusion 360 Manufacturing - Having trouble posting turning g code. "onOpen" error

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
ericschimel
233 Views, 8 Replies

Fusion 360 Manufacturing - Having trouble posting turning g code. "onOpen" error

Hi all! I have a router with a rotary I am trying to post some G code to test with.

That machine is a standard 3 axis router (XYZ) and it has an additional rotary axis on A.

What I am trying to test is the ability to do 4 axis rotary work. I'd like to be able to mill down rough stock, position the stock in the rotary at a certain orientation and then do 3 axis work on it.

To that end I made up this tester model:

2022-10-17_08-48-18.png

 The first operation has the cylindrical stock being shaped down to the odd shape you see there, and then I have a flat pocket on it as the second operation.

I'm essentially trying to learn to make furniture legs and such.

I'm able to get toolpaths and even see them in the preview, but whenever I post code I get this error:

2022-10-17_08-48-02.png

I can post regular 3 axis code no problem. No matter what post processor I use I get this, so I suspect that it's something to do with my toolpath setup. Try as I may, I cannot find the setup problem. Can anyone let me know what's going on here?

This is the model here:

https://a360.co/3Tv6oyC

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Hi @ericschimel 

I think you are using some custom post without seeing the post its not possible to identify the error

Boopathi Sivakumar
Senior Technology Consultant

Message 3 of 9

I was originally trying with a custom post, but I tried a few others and I am getting the same result. The problem doesn't seem to be related to the post...
Message 4 of 9
ludovic_yzon
in reply to: ericschimel

Hi @ericschimel 
Please have a look at this article, maybe your rotary axis is not defined correctly.

Hope this helps

Message 5 of 9
ericschimel
in reply to: ludovic_yzon

I am not using a machine configuration but I do have rotary set in the post processor:

ericschimel_0-1666022039704.png

Message 6 of 9
ludovic_yzon

Yes, This is exactly what I wanted to highlight, in your project I can see the rotary axis is along Z and your rotary table is set to Y+ in the picture you sent me.
May be you have to modify the setup orientation in your manufacturing workspace to get an appropriate result.

Hope this helps.

Ludo.

Message 7 of 9
ericschimel

I get what you're saying, but if I change the axes this happens:

2022-10-17_21-46-23.png

 It's trying to spin about the Z axis of my model, which isn't the direction I need to spin. The axis IN THE MODEL that I need to spin around is the Y axis. 

On my machine that axis (the "spinny" one) is the A axis. That pocket I'm cutting should be approached from the Z axis.

Put more simply that model is drawn in the exact orientation that it will be on my machine. 

Message 8 of 9
ludovic_yzon

Hello @ericschimel 

What happens if you post process the project attached?

Message 9 of 9
ericschimel

It fails in the exact same way.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report