Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting CAD Model to STEP with material and appearance

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
troydjEPMYB
274 Views, 6 Replies

Exporting CAD Model to STEP with material and appearance

I am trying to export a CAD model of an electronic component to STEP. However, all bodies in the component are exported in the STEP file with default material and appearance. I thought Fusion 360 exported in STEP AP214 format which is suppose to have support for color etc.. Is this a bug with Fusion or a known limitation?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
HughesTooling
in reply to: troydjEPMYB

How are you assigning the colour? As a test I used 2 different Aluminium appearances and they show up in Rhino.

HughesTooling_1-1663151621511.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7

Can you File>Export your *.f3d file to your local drive and then Attach it here to a Reply?

Message 4 of 7

.f3d file attached. When I export to STEP and then open the generated STEP file all material and appearance info is lost.

Message 5 of 7

@HughesTooling wrote:

How are you assigning the colour? As a test I used 2 different Aluminium appearances and they show up in Rhino.

Only the color shows up, not the full appearance material.

EESignature

Message 6 of 7

I don't believe STEP export functionality is working properly. I created a simply rectangle shape and configured material as Aluminum with appearance polished. Exported to STEP and then opened the generated STEP file in Fusion, material and appearance lost... checking the properties of the STEP file shows that material and appearance have been changed to Steel with  appearance as opaque (245,245,246).

Message 7 of 7

I'll have to experiment with this, but I believe what you are seeing in the export is the physical default material that goes along with an color. The polished look will NOT be exported.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report