Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing BOM counter BUG!

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Beyondforce
996 Views, 10 Replies

Drawing BOM counter BUG!

Hey guys,

Please check out the screencast:

Cheers / Ben
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Check out my YouTube channel: Fusion 360: NewbiesPlus

Ben Korez
Owner, TESREG.com & Fusion 360 NewbiesPlus
TESREG - Fusion 360 Hardware Benchmark
Facebook | YouTube

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
HughesTooling
in reply to: Beyondforce

I just ran into this problem as well. In the help it says only the first level of components will show in the BOM. You picked your assembly component, it's first level is the plate and the Screw subassembly so that's all you'll get in the BOM. The components in the screw subassembly don't get included in the bom.

Here's the help link.

The work around I found is go back to the model workspace and pick the screw component, right click and select create drawing. On the Create dialog select your existing drawing and sheet, put the view of your screws somewhere off the sheet where they will not show in the print. Now you can create a BOM from your original view and the subassembly components will be included.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
Beyondforce
in reply to: HughesTooling

Hey @HughesTooling,

Thank you very much for the workaround. In the screencast you will see, how I found the BUG and how to fix this Top level component count (thanks to you).

If you don't mind testing it, that would be great! The best way of testing it would be with a large assembly with many sub-components.

Cheers / Ben.

Ben Korez
Facebook | YouTube

Message 4 of 11

You mention making a youtube video about because many people are going to like it.

If this means that you are using something that is clearly a bug and may not work in the next update and promoting it as a feature is not a good idea!

In general I find the functionality Fusion 360 offers for BOM data entry level a best. For really professional use this is unacceptable.

Having to use a workaround for something that is really the bread and butter level of mechanical engineering is rediculous!

EESignature

Message 5 of 11

I will put it out there, some will find it useful and some won't.
What will happen in the future no body knows, I'm still waiting for a lot of fixes and features, but unfortunately the Fusion team has it's priorities.
When a new update with a fix will come out, I will make a new update video.
There are many things in Fusion that professionally unacceptable and yet people finds workarounds. I stopped wasting my time on been frustrated with the bugs and the limitations that Fusion has. Instead, I finds workarounds and new techniques.

Cheers.

Ben Korez
Facebook | YouTube

Message 6 of 11

Hey @TrippyLighting,

If you don't mind creating a screencast with your workaround, that would be great. I have tried to follow your workaround, but it didn't work. Maybe I'm doing it wrong!

Thanks.

Ben Korez
Facebook | YouTube

Message 7 of 11

@Beyondforce I did not post a workaround, but Mark did.

EESignature

Message 8 of 11

I only needed to make a patent drawing so no BOM just numbered balloons. Looking at the BOM in my drawing it's a mess and not usable so really the only way to use my workaround would be to use one of the apps to export a bom and have a separate sheet.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 11
zhixin.ni

Hi Ben,

I really appreciate your efforts to try this parts list functionality and reported the issues you found. I have following comments for what you found:

1. The inconsistent behavior of parts list when suppressing/unsuppressing a component is a bug. In your design, "part" and "Screw" should be shown in the parts list after they are suppressed and unsuppressed. I will log a bug in our system and try to fix it soon. 

2. Currently parts list only display first level components in an assembly. Components in a subassembly are not displayed. This is a known limitation. We know you want to display the whole structure of an assembly in a parts list. This requirement is in our plan now.

3. As a partial workaround, you can display a subassembly's parts list in another sheet of the drawing. Besides Mike's workflow (go to the design, select the subassembly, create a new drawing by adding a new sheet to the existing drawing), you can also do it directly in the drawing (add a new sheet in the existing drawing, add a base view, suppress all other components except the subassembly). I know this workaround is not perfect, as not all components are in one parts list. The final solution should be to support the whole structure of an assembly in a parts list, as I mentioned in item2.

image.png

Regards
Nick Ni
Message 10 of 11
Beyondforce
in reply to: zhixin.ni

@zhixin.ni,

I just want to confirm, are you saying that in the next update, we will be able to add Lower levels sub-components into the BOM?

Ben Korez
Facebook | YouTube

Message 11 of 11
zhixin.ni

Hi Ben,

To answer your question: No. We haven't started implementing this functionality. But it's already in our priority list. Your feedback is very valuable to us as we understand this functionality is very important. Our product manager will prioritize this requirement and hopefully it can be designed and implemented soon.

Thank you again for your feedback

Regards
Nick Ni

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report