Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Derived sketches' plane issue

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
krzysztof.kubanek
307 Views, 1 Reply

Derived sketches' plane issue

Dear Fusion 360 Development Team,

First of all I want you thank you and send best regards to you all for this wonderful piece of software Fusion 360 definitely is! It really revolutionized my thinking and design process and for that I'm really grateful.

Though unfortunately despite wonderful I can't say flawless since crashes happen from time to time, perhaps more often due to my bad design choices (I'm stil learning to use it properly) though still.

I want to mention something that seems to be a simple bug with using derived sketches though perhaps also a missing feature.

How to reproduce:

1. New design

2. Create a sketch, then sketch something and save it.

3. Insert Derive, choose previously created sketch.

Problems I see:

1. Doesn't matter if you choose "Place objects at origin" or not... they go there anyway (minor problem).

2. I can't redefine derived sketch plane for example to place it on some face or plane from which I'd like to extrude it.

3. If I choose to "Break link" for that derived sketch then I still have no option to redefine the plane!

So second one I believe to be a missing very useful feature while third seems to be a bug. Although it can also be that I'm missing something but searched web/forum for this and haven't found any solution to this problem.

Best Regards,

Krzysztof.

Tags (1)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Hi @krzysztof.kubanek 

Thanks for posting on the forums!

2. I can't redefine derived sketch plane for example to place it on some face or plane from which I'd like to extrude it.

I think I would consider this a feature request. If this is something you would like to see implemented, you might consider  posting on the idea station or looking for an existing topic.

3. If I choose to "Break link" for that derived sketch then I still have no option to redefine the plane!

This is because when you break the link, the sketch becomes base feature, meaning it is non-parametric. You cannot redefine a sketch plane for non-parametric sketches. If you try turning off design history, you'll see you won't be able to redefine the sketch plane there either.

As for this one:

1. Doesn't matter if you choose "Place objects at origin" or not... they go there anyway (minor problem).

I don't see a difference if this is selected or not either. I'll ask around and see if I can find out when this applies.

Cheers,

Karina

Karina Harper

Software QA Engineer, Fusion 360

Fusion 360 Webinars | Contact Support | EDU Support | Support Board Best Practices

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report