Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Panel showing Black window

85 REPLIES 85
Message 1 of 86
Anonymous
5329 Views, 85 Replies

Data Panel showing Black window

Hi,

I'm new to Fusion 360. I have problem with data panel. It shows black window there (see attached snapshot). However, first time I used it, it worked fine. But somehow it quits working. I tried rebooting my computer and reinstall Fusion. Neither helps.

Thank you very much!

85 REPLIES 85
Message 41 of 86
chengyun.yang
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Ben,

We got a laptop machine and reproduced this blcak data panel issue. After some investigation, we found that if we go to the Windows device manager and then disable Intel GPU, this issue is gone. So probably you can try the same thing on your side to see if this works for you as well. 

Thanks

Chengyun

Fusion Development Team. 

Message 42 of 86
Anonymous
in reply to: chengyun.yang

Hi chengyun.yang,

I tried disabling the intel process and the issue went away. Unfortunately, I kept receiving graphics errors/warnings though and I could no longer use multiple displays. 

-Phil

Message 43 of 86
Anonymous
in reply to: baribak

Hi Baribak,

I have tried everything and it did not seem to help. When I did force the intel graphics off per chengyun.yang's recommendation the issue did resolve put caused other problems. I have attached a log file though so that you can take a look at what is happening with the error. From what I can tell there isn't going to be an easy fix for me. I can deal with the issue for the time being until an an actual fix is found.

Message 44 of 86
chengyun.yang

That is unfortunate. I will bring it to our data panel team to see if they can make the data panel browser to work with the Intel GPU however this may take some time.

-Chengyun

Message 45 of 86

One internal bug UP-27274 is created to track this issue. To fix this issue, it may involve upgrading the embeded chrome browser to a new version so it could take some time. 

Message 46 of 86
Anonymous

Hi Chengyun,

I have this black screen data panel problem. Fusion 360 has never detected my AMD Radeon 6600M Series. I disabled Intel GPU and my data panel is visible, but now Fusion 360 use the 128mb Microsoft basic render driver. I don’t have any problems with other software like Adobe ones: they detect my AMD graphic card.

Thank you.
Message 47 of 86
chengyun.yang

Hi,

I am not sure how Adobe works around this(probably they directly talk to GPU driver instead of through some official 3D APIs) but the below is the message we got directly from AMD developers:

>>>

The truth behind this issue is that AMD is using LDA mode in this case. On the contrary, there is a MDA (Multiple Display Adapter) mode.

Linked Display Adapters

A linked display adapter (LDA) is a mode of operation in which multiple physical adapters are merged, thus appearing as a single logical adapter. From an application’s point of view, only the logical adapter is visible. However, the underlying WDDM driver uses all the physical adapters within the link to improve the performance of the logical adapter.

With LDA mode, Intel iGPU is the Master GPU and AMD dGPU is the Slave GPU. All regular DirectX APIs will see Master GPU, i.e., Intel iGPU only. That’s to say, OS only expose the Intel iGPU as the logical adapter at the API level.

Underneath the app and DirectX runtime, AMD’s graphics driver takes over the control and dispatch the work to Intel GPU or AMD GPU based on some policies.

So AMD GPU is doing work behind but unfortunately it is not exposed by standard DirectX APIs.

The positive side of LDA mode is that app doesn’t need to care how many display adapters in the system so the programming is much simplified. The down side is that app lose the control to select specific adapter if it wants to do so. 
>>>

In your case, although it said "Fusion 360 use the 128mb Microsoft basic render driver", as long as you didn't feel any performance lagging issues, it could be that this Microsoft basic render driver is dispatching the work to AMD GPU. In other words, AMD GPU is doing the real work. 

Thanks
Chengyun

Message 48 of 86
Anonymous

Hi Chengyun,

Thank you very much for your fast reply and exhaustive explanation!
Message 49 of 86
Anonymous
in reply to: ADSKDJW4

Hey,

I have found one more workaround for this problem, without changing anything in BIOS or disabling default graphics card. Where shall i post the solution?? I see that there are multiple posts about the same black panel issue. Is there any way you can help me post this?

Its not a complete fix but i guess your engineering team can find a solution through this.

Message 50 of 86
baribak

Hi syedmahin1991,

Please feel free to share any info here on the forum. Your fellow users and those working on Fusion would greatly appreciate any additional info you can provide regarding this problem.

Regards,

Kevin Baribault
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance
Message 51 of 86
Anonymous

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I use Dell inspiron with windows 8.1, I use fusion 360 in my office PC & it runs perfectly. When i use it on my laptop it was giving the same black data panel problem. I searched for solution in forums but none of the solution worked out for me. I tried disabling intel graphics card, updating bios & other recommended solutions but nothing worked out. Finally, when i did following it worked.

1.Right click on fusion 360 icon on desktop

2.Click troubleshoot compatibility

3.'program compatibility troubleshooter' opens, I select the option 'Try recommended settings'

4.It says: Settings applied to fusion launcher: windows compatibility mode: Windows 8

5.when i click the 'Test the program...' button, Fusion 360 launches with perfectly working Data panel.

Everything works fine and program runs using secondary graphics card, it doesn't show in 'Graphics Diagnostics' but i know it uses it as i tested with complex structures and it was running smooth.

But here the problem is i have to follow the above 5 steps every time i use Fusion 360. But it takes hardly 5 seconds to do it, so i am using it from over a month now.

I thought engineers at autodesk can find a solution for this problem so i decided to post this on forum.

Unofficial: Frankly i love fusion 360 from the core of my heart. I have recommended this application to solidworks & nx users. I even sometimes keep a competition with my colleague  who uses solidworks just to see who can develop a component faster. But when i found out this problem in laptop i was very sad. I really want fusion to solve it soon & shine forever.

Message 52 of 86
Anonymous

Hi, I have been trying all suggestion I found in the internet, even contact Autodesk via email.

The problem is after all communication, I dont have the specific time to sit and share the screen as required.

It was working before, flawlessly, and suddenly data panel and the small panel beside went black.

Please kindly check, if many of us here having the same issue where it was working before, I might think that something has been change with Fusion software itself, or?

It was a good program though

Message 53 of 86
baribak

Hi garorica,

Can you try renaming the files NMachineSpecificOptions.xml and NGlobalOptions.xml and see if it helps? They're located in:

(First, exit Fusion.)

Windows:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Neutron Platform\Options

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Neutron Platform\Options\{alphanumericfoldername}

OSX:

/users/<username>/library//application support/autodesk/neutron platform/options

/users/<username>/library//application support/autodesk/neutron platform/options/{alphanumericfoldername}

Once done, launch Fusion.

Regards,

Kevin Baribault
Message 54 of 86
Anonymous

I am having this kind of thing, and it locks my fusion, so I have to restart it.

But I think I found some relation to it happening every time I try to offset some cylindrical faces that have  some hole with treads entering in them, I don't know if any of these can be of any help but for it seems that it is whats happening to me.

Message 55 of 86
DavePlant

I have the same black data panel problem on an Intel HD graphics based laptop. On my machine, I found that it has something to do with the power management mode.

If I start Fusion 360 while the power is unplugged it works fine. 

If I start Fusion 360 while the power adapter is plugged in I get the black data panel.

The laptop is an HP EliteBook 840. I have tried several different power management settings, but I could not get it to work properly. 

black data panel .jpg

Message 56 of 86
Anonymous
in reply to: DavePlant

I had the same problem.

My laptop is HP pavilion DV6 also on an Intel HD graphics based laptop.

The post of Daveplant solved the problem.

If i start Fusion 360 unplugged everything is fine.

Message 57 of 86
Anonymous

I just realised that if you start fusion 360 in recommended power option or in power saver it has no problem.

After opening the program you can switch to high performance.

Only if you open the program in high performance the data panel shows black.

Message 58 of 86
Anonymous

Hi,

That's an interesting observation. Can you tell us what your current graphics driver setting is in Fusion (User menu > Preferences)?

By default this is set to "Auto-select". If Windows, see if setting it to DX11 helps. On a Mac, try OpenGL.

Regards,

Message 59 of 86
Anonymous

Hi,
I have windows 10.
I tried both Direct X11 and Direct X9 but when power option is in high performance the data panel goes black.
As i recall i did not have a problem with Fusion's data panel before changing from Windows 7.
Message 60 of 86
baribak

Hi,

I would suggest you take a look at the power settings on your system. The behaviors you are experiencing are not normal operation and it may be a power setting somewhere is not what it should be. 

From the behavior I wonder if the "low power" state of being unplugged kicks the card into a different mode reducing high performance features. And it's these high powered features that have issues with Fusion's Data Panel display?

BTW: Is this the internal Intel display driver or an additional card?

Regards,

Kevin Baribault

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report