Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cylinder creation using construction line as axis

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
wadeJ4J2S
1042 Views, 7 Replies

cylinder creation using construction line as axis

I'm a noob at this, but I did search for the answer...

I am trying to create a static model of a tripod with tapered cylindrical legs.  I started by creating a tetrahedron of construction lines, thinking that I would create cylinders on the 3 non-base edges, but cannot figure out how to either a) create the cylinder using a construction line as its axis, or b) create a cylinder and then reorient it to the tetrahedron edge.

Any help would be much appreciated!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
g-andresen
in reply to: wadeJ4J2S

Hi,

please share the file and show a picture of such an object

günther

Message 3 of 8
HughesTooling

The primitives in Fusion do not work well and should be avoided in a parametric design. You are better off creating a component with a sketch and revolve then position the component on the tripod with a joint.

The leg component should look something like this. see attached file. You can then create a pattern for the other legs.

HughesTooling_0-1632411074767.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 8
jeff_strater

when you say "construction line" are  you talking about a Construction Axis (AKA "Work Axis"):

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 8.30.55 AM.png

or a sketch construction line:

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 8.31.56 AM.png

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 5 of 8
HughesTooling

@wadeJ4J2S  You might find this tutorial helpful on assemblies. Shows how to add joint to a tripod from Basic Training examples.

https://help.autodesk.com/view/fusion360/ENU/?guid=GUID-DE65A081-8233-456E-A930-F0D5FEB94277

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 8
wadeJ4J2S
in reply to: jeff_strater

I used construction lines to create wire-frame of a tetrahedron so that I'd know where to put the axes of the legs.

Message 7 of 8
HughesTooling

You could use plane at angle to create a construction plane aligned with one of the edges to create your sketch on.

HughesTooling_0-1633376002760.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
HughesTooling

@wadeJ4J2S wrote:

I used construction lines to create wire-frame of a tetrahedron so that I'd know where to put the axes of the legs.

Another easy way is use your wire frame with a Pipe feature. Note Pipe will not let you select construction type curves.

HughesTooling_0-1633422176511.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report