Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curvature constraint unable to select geometry.

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
richardN73C5
848 Views, 6 Replies

Curvature constraint unable to select geometry.

First question from a new user.
I am trying to select two lines to apply the curvature constraint.  It works fine for two fit point splines but if I have two lines as shown in the tool tips, I am unable to select them both.   Perhaps just using the fillet is the way to go but why have a tool tip that does not work?  
What am I doing wrong.  I have tried many different attempts.

Thanks 

Richard

Labels (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jeff_strater
in reply to: richardN73C5

curvature constraint cannot  be applied to two lines.  Lines have no "curvature", so this constraint does not make sense, mathematically.  What are you trying to achieve here?  To make the lines colinear?

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 7
richardN73C5

Not to make them colinear, to smooth the curvature between them and trying to learn by following the instructions.
Thanks for the response
I'll post another screen shot.  In the end it appears the lines must be spline curves, not sure it the tool is useful as splines are already curved or can be easily curved with the handles.  I guess fillet does what I am after rather than try to get the G2 continuity added to straight lines.
I am new to the program so apologies if my questions are off base.

Message 4 of 7
jeff_strater

Constraints are used to create relationships between geometries (parallel, perpendicular etc).  They do not create new geometry.  If you want a smooth transition between two lines, try the sketch fillet:

Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 8.26.19 AM.png

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 5 of 7

Hi Jeff,

Richard is right. The problem is in the product documentation, showing how one of two straight lines joining at an angled point can become curved. Please see my screenshot (attached).

The F360 product documentation needs to be changed to make it clear that the curvature constraint can only apply to splines.

All best,

David

Message 6 of 7
lbonoldi

I just waisted two hours of my life trying the same thing:(

The constraint is used to create a tangent curve using a spline between two normal lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_TbpVC2Lhc

Message 7 of 7
g-andresen
in reply to: lbonoldi

Hi,

please start a new thread and share a file

günther

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report