Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combine bodies causing unintended target body surface change

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
287 Views, 3 Replies

Combine bodies causing unintended target body surface change

Hello,

I searched through the forum regarding combining bodies, and found information about avoiding "co-incident or near-coincident surfaces" when performing boolean combine operations on bodies, and it *might* be relevant to this issue, but I'm not sure.

I have two solid body cylinders that I'm attempting to subtract ("cut") from a target body. The operation completes, but affects two other holes already in the the target body, creating a surface pattern over those holes, and only allowing the top ring to be selected and not the cylindrical hole surface. I've attached some screenshots of the process, to clarify. Oddly, only when the dowel pin on the lower right is selected as a cutting tool for the combine operation, do the two existing holes on the lower middle-right become "surfaced over", and this doesn't occur if only the dowel pin on the upper left is used as cutting tool.

I am hesitant to attach the .F3D file as it contains about 300 bodies that are relevant to a design currently in progress. I could possibly privately share it with someone.

If this was cosmetic, I wouldn't mind, but the cylindrical hole faces need to be selectable to be machined/bored later. The reason I wondered if "near coincident faces" was causing this: the original six holes (shown in the screenshots) that were already boolean subtracted from the target body were subtracted using a stepped dowel pin (two different diameter pins, connected axially), where the bottom face of the larger diameter pin was "face coincident" with the target body when "cut-combining" it.

Is there a work-around to this? I suppose I could go back in the timeline, and re-attempt the initial solid boolean operations without "near-coincident faces". I don't know enough about this to attempt a fix.

Thanks!

combine-01.pngcombine-02.pngcombine-03.pngcombine-04.pngcombine-05.png

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Here are two more screenshots showing the original 6 stepped dowel pins that were used to create the holes in the target body. I appears the cut-combine operation here affected the target body in an unintended manner. Currently attempting to reverse this.combine-07.pngcombine-06.png

Message 3 of 4
jeff_strater
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous - this is almost certainly a graphics issue.  You can usually fix this by changing the display level of detail.  Right click on the body and choose "Display Detail Control":

display detail control menu.png

Then, set the detail control to "Fixed", and try one of the 3 settings.  One of them should eliminate those unwanted facets

display detail control dialog.png

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: jeff_strater

This solved the issue. Per your recommendation, I changed Display Detail Control on the target body from Adaptive, to Fixed-Medium. The faceting remained at Fixed-Low, but not at Fixed-Medium or Fixed-High.

Thank you Jeff!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report