Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Circle Dimensions Vertical Instead of Horizontal on Sketches

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
autodesk1VGX4J
1187 Views, 7 Replies

Circle Dimensions Vertical Instead of Horizontal on Sketches

After one of the recent updates to Fusion 360 the dimensions to circles started appearing vertical in sketches (in red oval on attachement). Is there a way to make the text horizontal? Seems like there will be a simple solution, but my digging in Fusion and on Google didn't turn it up. Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Hi @autodesk1VGX4J,

I don't think anything has changed here.  Looking at your image, for some reason it is oriented with the X axis vertically (red is X, green is Y).  When you edited the sketch, did Fusion put your view into that orientation?  If so, that is wrong behavior.  If you click on the "look at" button in the sketch palette:

Screen Shot 2017-09-30 at 1.48.55 PM.png

does the orientation change?

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 8

Ah, the X-Y reversal is good information, thank you.  The "Look At" doesn't do anything.  And, yes, that is how Fusion is orientating the sketch.  I have confirmed you are correct that the dimension is oriented incorrectly because of the axis reversal. But I cannot figure out why the X-Y are reversed.  At least now I know the source of the vertical dimension, now I just need to track down the source of the X-Y reversal!  I cannot repeat the behavior in a new design file, so it does seem specific to the one model.

Message 4 of 8

Interesting.  Would you be willing to share the design with me?  If it's something you don't want to share in this thread, you can send me a link to it via the Private Message feature in this forum.

thanks!

Jeff

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 5 of 8

I made a simple file which contains the behavior and attached it.  The file only contains 3 sketches, one in each plane.  The text on the sketches appears (on my computer) as: X-Y plane is correct, the Y-Z is rotated 90 degrees, and the X-Z is upside down.  After your previous post, I went looking for some view setting (or similar) I somehow managed to change, but I have not been able to locate anything which affects this behavior.  Any insight you can provide would be (further) appreciated.

Message 6 of 8

Thanks.  We'll look into the behavior on the YZ plane - that is definitely incorrect behavior.  Look At should always orient the X axis horizontally.

The situation with the XZ plane is a different story.  See:  why-is-my-sketch-text-appearing-upside-down for more information.  However, recently, Fusion changed the behavior of the Text command so that it is supposed to automatically flip the text if it would appear backwards.  That may not be working correctly yet.

Jeff

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 7 of 8

Apologies, I did not mean to say the text on the X-Z Plane is upside down, I meant to say the Y-axis is upside down.  Note that the dimension text for the circle is underneath the leader/call out line instead of above it.

Message 8 of 8

Ah, OK, thanks for the clarification.  I see what you mean, now.  Yes, these both seem like bugs in "look at" - Fusion should orient the view so that X is horizontal and the positive direction is to the right, and the Y is vertical, and the positive direction is up.  I'll file those bugs.  Thanks for pointing this out.

Jeff

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report