Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Configuration in Drawing removes all suppressions

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
rupprechtt
971 Views, 22 Replies

Changing Configuration in Drawing removes all suppressions

Hi,

when changing the configuration (only different dimensions) in a drawing all the suppressions that were selected are gone and everything is shown again. 
Is there a workaround?

As I have about 40 different configurations I thought I could avoid going through all the pages of the drawing and reselecting the relevant suppressions?
This shows what I am trying to do: 
https://help.autodesk.com/view/fusion360/ENU/?guid=CFG-DRAWING
However, there are suppressed items in my drawing.

Any help is very appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

Labels (2)
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23

@rupprechtt is this happening when you are trying to follow the steps in the "Save As to document a different Configuration" in the documentation article?  In the Configured Design, when you switch between your defined configurations, all the suppressions are intact?

Regards
Gautham

Gautham Kattethota
Software Development
Message 3 of 23

I asked the relevant team that owns this area and apparently it is a known issue.  The team is actively looking at ways to solve this.  

Gautham

Gautham Kattethota
Software Development
Message 4 of 23

Hi,

Yes this is happening only for the drawing and even before saving. As soon as I change to another configuration all supressed items in the drawing are shown again. The configuration changes correctly, but there are many items displayed that I wanted to supress in the drawing.

In the design iteself everything works fine but I do not have any supressions in the browser here. (Only for the drawing, as I have drwaings of individual parts of the design)

Message 5 of 23

Oh alright, thanks for investigating!

So currently there is no solution or workaround? Can you estimate when this issue will be solved?

Thanks a lot!

Message 6 of 23
Pramod.kadam
in reply to: rupprechtt

Hi @rupprechtt ,

Thanks for the reporting and apologies that you are facing an issue. 

Please provide the following information for further investigations.

1. Are the suppression states managed in your configurations? Meaning, does these configurations have different suppression states for different components?
  2. Can you please share a video showing the component suppression states for the different configurations in the design vs drawing?

Please note that, We can insert only one configuration in a drawing at present. If you switch configuration in same drawing, all the other references will start pointing to new configuration. This is the current limitation. And in order to overcome this, we can 'Save as' the drawing file and switch configuration in newly created drawing.

I hope this helps.

Thanks

Pramod Kadam
Product Owner
Fusion 360 Drawings
Message 7 of 23
rupprechtt
in reply to: Pramod.kadam

Hi @Pramod.kadam - Thanks for your help!

The configurations only differ in terms of dimensions (no items are suppressed in one configuration but are not in the other).
It is clear that we can only have one configuration per drawing - and this is not the issue here.
It is only about the suppressions in the browser of the drawing.

I just want to have a new drawing with the dimensions of the different configuration. However the suppressed items (see screenshot) are not suppressed anymore after changing the configuration / dimensions.

I also attached a video that shows the process. However unfortunately I was not able to record  such that the browser and popups are visible in the video. But all I do is changing the configuration. The items marked red in the screenshot are all displayed after changing the configuration. This is the actual issue.
In the video:
I modelled a wall, the door frame and the door. But the drawing should only show the door. As soon as I change the configuration, the door frame and the wall are both displayed.

Message 8 of 23
Pramod.kadam

Hi @rupprechtt ,

Thanks for the explanation. I got what your expectations are.

One of the strong reason for keeping this behavior was, when we switch the configuration, we should always honour the suppression state of components based on state in the design. By default, we set the suppression states based on design configuration.

In this case, If you want to see certain components only in one configuration, I think configuring suppression states in design is one of the option.

However we will discuss this requirement in detail internally and decide what best can be done here.

Thanks again from brining this.

Regards,

Pramod Kadam
Product Owner
Fusion 360 Drawings
Message 9 of 23
rupprechtt
in reply to: Pramod.kadam

Hi @Pramod.kadam,

Thanks for the explanation. Maybe to explain a little further: My drawing has multiple pages were I draw indivdual parts of the design. Every single item is somewere depicted. But only once I have drawn all parts in one view. 

I understand what you say that if you have configured suppressions. However, these are not shown at all in the browser (neither in the drawing nor in the design). This is a great behavior in my opinion. But I would expect, when changing the configuration, that items that were not in the browser before (suppressed in the previous config) are shown now (as you mentioned). However items that were in the browser and are still in the browser after changing the config do not change their browser suppression state.

Anyway thanks for discussing. As I would only need this feature by the end of February for the current project, is there any chance you will be discussing that quickly?

Thank you so much for your assistence!

Message 10 of 23
ClintBrown3D

Hi @rupprechtt 

I'm the product manager who looks after drawings in Fusion. I'd love to connect with you to get a more in-depth understanding of your use case, and ideally see the files that you are working on. If you're up for it, here is a link to my calendar, please book a 30-minute session with me, and we can chat on Zoom (Note that times are in 24:00 format so 03:00 is 3am, 15:00 is 3pm). 

Or if a good old-fashioned email is more your style, feel free to ping me Clint. Brown {a} Autodesk.com

Message 11 of 23
rupprechtt
in reply to: ClintBrown3D

Hi @ClintBrown3D 

thank you for your time! I tried to book via the calendar and wrote you an email - just to be sure. However, I didn't receive any kind of confirmation nor the link to the zoom meeting.

Would be happy to here from you!

Message 12 of 23
ClintBrown3D
Message 13 of 23
rupprechtt
in reply to: ClintBrown3D

@ClintBrown3D - I still didn't get anything. Most probably there are issues on my end which regarding some spam filters - as I do not even have something in my junk folder.
I just sent you an email from my private email address. Would be great if you could re-re-forward the invitation.

I'm very sorry for the circumstances!

Message 14 of 23
info2FGZS

I'd like to express that I'm facing the exact same issue and that the current behaviour kind of totally negates the advantages of configurations.

Please see the attached Snapshot - on the right side, all 8 (2x4) components are depicted (green) to show the positions of the parts. I then have 4 individual views for each component (yellow, red, blue, purple) for easy workflow at the shopfloor.

original_config.png

Next picture is after changing the configuration - the drawing is now useless without manually doing all the work again to suppress the non-dimensioned parts.

config_switched.PNG

Message 15 of 23
Pramod.kadam

Hi @info2FGZS , 

We are trying to understand all the use cases for this workflow and find out the best way to handle the suppression states in configuration drawings.

We will update you as soon as make some progress here.

Also can you please share the screen shot of your configuration table from the design?

Thanks,

Pramod Kadam
Product Owner
Fusion 360 Drawings
Message 16 of 23
info2FGZS

Sure, the table is quite.... simple. It only sets height and width of the frame. Projekt/Index are just for non-design use.

Unbenannt.PNG

Hope this helps.

Message 17 of 23
info2FGZS

Oh and this you might also need:

Unbenannt.PNG

Message 18 of 23
info2FGZS

Hi @Pramod.kadam  is there any updates on the subject?

Message 19 of 23
Pramod.kadam

Hi @info2FGZS ,
We are actively working on this and will update you as soon as we have update to share.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Pramod Kadam
Product Owner
Fusion 360 Drawings
Message 20 of 23
rupprechtt

@Pramod.kadam@ClintBrown3D still no updates on this, correct?
Do you have a roadmap?

Thanks a lot!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report