Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bolt connector constraint not resolving

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Josephpistonovfx
281 Views, 4 Replies

Bolt connector constraint not resolving

Oddly enough - I had gotten this constraint to work with another model (1st model in screencast), then I changed the bolt pattern in said model and was unable to re-create the bolt constraint again - using the same holes! These are all features created IN Fusion 360 mind you, not random geometry from another source.

Thinking perhaps it was an issue with my model, I decided to create a very simple version of the same setup in a completely new design (2nd model in screencast) - a cylinder with a 1in. deep 1/2-13 threaded 'hole' via the hole tool in the center of the bottom face of the cylinder. I then created a .125 thick 'disc' that mates up to the bottom of the cylinder and added a clearance 'hole' for the 1/2-13 in the center of the disc.
I created a static stress simulation to see what kind of deformation I will get on the 'disc' if I apply an offset force at the top of the cylinder which will be connected together via a 1/2-13 bolt with the outer face of the 'disc' constrained. When I try to add the bolt constraint it allows me to select the correct 'edge' for where the bolt head will go but will not let me select the 'threads' of the inside of the cylinder. Again, this is a hole created with the hold tool in Fusion.. I tried both with modelled threads and non-modelled...

I've attached a screencast of both instances

This behavior screams bug - but I have to say, the fact that this particular constraint doesn't have the ability to do multiple holes at the same time, or have templated bolt types, can determine a basic bolt type based on the selection, or flat out just doesn't work with the most basic geometry really drags down the 'professional' feel of Fusion. 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Can you File>Export your *.f3d file to your local drive and then Attach it here to a Reply?

Message 3 of 5

Hey @TheCADWhisperer  - Sorry, didn't see the response.. uploading file...

Message 4 of 5

I decided to rebuild the setup AGAIN, and still ended up with the same issue - After being frustrated again I created a sketch and created a 'hole' by making a circle and 'extruding' it instead of using the 'Hole' tool... well guess what - it works... So - the moral of the story is something about the hole tool (the tool you use to make threads etc.) makes the simulation context not happy. Which I, again re-iterate, is pretty weak.

Message 5 of 5

Also, what the heck happened to my Screencast?? did it disappear?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report