Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bill of Materials / Parts List for Subassemblies

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
980 Views, 3 Replies

Bill of Materials / Parts List for Subassemblies

Links to A360:

Model: https://builtdesigns.autodesk360.com/g/shares/SH9285eQTcf875d3c539e3ed35283397d134

Drawing: https://builtdesigns.autodesk360.com/g/shares/SH9285eQTcf875d3c5397eb207769cdb623b

I'm attempting to set up a drawing template to use on a big project with multiple subassemblies. I made a simple test assembly to work out the kinks before using it on the full project, and that's what the links connect to.

According to the support documentation and videos (at 11:42), it is possible to make a bill of materials for a specific subassembly within a top-down assembly. These tutorials came out a couple years ago and I see the interface has changed. I can now double-click a parts list table and change the Structure from First Level to All Level, which will make an ugly and mostly useless BOM that has every subcomponent broken out with decimals (2.3 = subassy 2, component 3).

However, it looks like the ability to point a BOM to a subassembly is completely gone. If I manually remove a BOM and click Table (with the lightning bolt) or Parts List, it asks me to select a view. I select the subassembly view and place the table, but it just puts a single callout balloon pointing to the entire view and the BOM is identical to the top level version. Totally useless.

Am I doing something wrong in pointing Parts lists to my subassemblies? In the tutorial video he just placed a "placeholder assembly", pointed a parts list to it, and Fusion automatically tailored the list to whichever assembly/subassembly was in view. It seems like that functionality was removed as far as I can tell.

It better not be removed!

Make sure to check out the blog post for the full context of the video: https://clintbrown.co.uk/2021/04/06/smart-template-all-level-drawings/ #Fusion360 #Autodesk
Labels (4)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Update:

I have discovered that BOMs generate correctly for subassemblies when applied to "Assembly" views, but not "Storyboard" views, which are used for exploded views.

For now, I may be able to work around this limitation, but maybe I'm just creating my storyboard views wrong? How do I make a storyboard that will tell the drawing that it's for a specific subassembly? What I've done so far is just hide all the other assemblies/components, but clearly that doesn't work.

Message 3 of 4
nemadec
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous 

Just suppress the component manually from browser tree after creating drawing & place all level part list for storyboard view.

Please refer attached image.

nemadec_0-1633917488748.png

Chandrashekhar Nemade
Sr. SQA Engineer
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: nemadec

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I have so many subassemblies (big project) that it would be a real chore to do this on all those sheets. It would be great if Fusion could implement that automatically, but it's good to know it can be done manually at least.

The solution I think I'm going to go with for my application is to apply the BOM to the regular assembly view. Any components that can't be clearly seen in that view, I'll manually add leader notes with the Bubble number pointing to that part.

I'll just have to structure my subassy's to have as few hidden parts as possible.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report