Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aluminium milling problem Fusion Winpcnc

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
maud9BSUT
269 Views, 8 Replies

Aluminium milling problem Fusion Winpcnc

Hello,

I'm trying to mill a 5mm aluminium piece in 0,5mm steps.

Data:

Spindle speed: 12000

Vadvance: 60mm/min (feed rate on 50%, later on 15%, in both cases problems)

Mill: 2mm diameter, 2 flutes (VHM)

I was wondering if these speeds are okay or not.

I'm also confused about the fact that apparently I have a feed rate in Winpcnc (Vadvance) and in Fusion (cutting feedrate (200mm/min))

The problem is that in the first case (feed rate 50%) my mill breaks and the cut is not smooth, in the second the cut is not smoot and wide. I stopped it before it could brake.

Could you tell me what I do wrong? I'l send you the file with all the information.

Best,

Maud

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
seth.madore
in reply to: maud9BSUT

Are you using any cutting fluid, such as coolant or cutting oil? 

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 9
maud9BSUT
in reply to: seth.madore

Hello,

I have no coolant. I spray some WD40oil on the mill and the plate (someone advised me to do so).

All the best,

Maud

Message 4 of 9
seth.madore

Coolant is going to provide the biggest chance of success, I strongly encourage you to investigate adding that ability to your workflow. Even something as simple as a KoolMist unit

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 9
maud9BSUT

Hallo,

Apart from the coolant, do you think the rest of the settings are okay?

All the best,

Maud

Message 6 of 9
seth.madore

In your toolpaths, you have the spindle speed set to 5000 rpm and a feedrate of 1000mm/min. Do you have to manually adjust the spindle speed on your machine, or does it read the settings in the G-code?

If you are indeed feeding at 1000mm/min, I would say that is much too fast for your tools and lack of coolant. Also, I'd change to a triangular shaped tab, that will greatly reduce tool breakage, as endmills are not at all designed for plunging directly down, in any metal.

Seth Madore
Message 7 of 9
maud9BSUT

Hallo,

I have to set the spindle manually ( I've set it to 12OOO). What should the feed rate be then?

All the best,

Maud

Message 8 of 9
seth.madore

I'm actually running a job in my shop with a 2mm endmill, machining some small slots into an aluminum piece. I'm running at 8k rpm and 3 inches per minute, which translates out to 76mm/min. However, I'm also running flood coolant. I maintain that is going to be the largest contributor to success/failure; coolant. Aluminum is a very sticky material. When it heats up (cutting causes friction, which causes heat), it will weld to anything it comes in contact with, whether that's the tool, or the material itself. The fact that your finish passes have a very poor finish and the slots are too wide are testament to this reality.

Seth Madore
Message 9 of 9
maud9BSUT

Hello,

Thanks for all the information. I will look forr a coolant solution and try out with the settings you mention.

All the best,

Maud

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report