Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Align tool (and Move tool) broken

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
sv429
756 Views, 15 Replies

Align tool (and Move tool) broken

Hello,

Seemingly randomly, the Align tool and Move tool will move the object to an apparently arbitrary position, despite previewing it correctly before pressing 'Ok'. This is a bug as it can randomly work, and other times it won't. This is a pretty key feature and it is quite frustrating it not working; I have tried grounding components and that sometimes works and othertimes doesn't. It is a model-agnostic event, and doesn't matter which objects I am trying to move and align.

I think this is a problem reported before, but I can't seem to find the forum post.

Kind regards,

Shash

Labels (7)
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
sutherland-
in reply to: sv429

Hi @sv429 

Have you tried to manually uninstall F360?

Are your drivers, F360 and Windows up to date?

There can be many unexplained issues if one of them is not up to date.

Please click on Accept Solution so other community members can see how to solve the issue.
Also, consider giving a Like to the comments that you feel helped you.

Best regards,
Level  sutherland-

Message 3 of 16
sv429
in reply to: sutherland-

Hey,

I am on Mac, and I've recently reinstalled Fusion. The problem existed before, and after the install, on two different machines, one running Apple Silicon (m1) and one running on Intel (i5, also Mac).

Thanks for your reply,

Shash

Message 4 of 16
TheCADWhisperer

Can you File>Export your *.f3d file to your local drive and then Attach it here to a Reply?

I can tell you that Move is almost always the incorrect move (pun intended) as used by beginners.

Message 5 of 16
sv429
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

Hey, 

Thank you for your reply. I unfortunately am unable to attach the file here, or recreate a file I could share which demonstrates the problem consistently. For example, on restarting the application, sometimes this fixes the problem. Potentially I am working through it wrong which is causing a bug-like symptom; it's easy to blame the tools.

Are there common issues with 'move' and 'align' commands, like with grounding/which one to use? I have tried both, and they seem to both be behaving weirdly. For full context, I am using some Solidworks->.f3d files converted within Fusion.

Thanks again,

Shash

Message 6 of 16
TrippyLighting

I am pretty sure @TheCADWhisperer asked you for the file to see why you are even using the align and move functionality.

I only use those functions in designs that do not have the timeline enabled. In timeline based designs (default) I don't use them at all! I propose that is the same for @TheCADWhisperer 😉

EESignature

Message 7 of 16
sv429
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Oh Interesting! What other ways are there of getting two parts aligned together, would you just use Joints?

Message 8 of 16
TrippyLighting

@sv429 wrote:

Oh Interesting! What other ways are there of getting two parts aligned together, would you just use Joints?

Yes!

EESignature

Message 9 of 16
sv429

Ok great haha, I wish that Autodesk could fix the glitch anyway, but I'll use Joints for now 🙂

Message 10 of 16
sutherland-

Totally agree. Joints is the way to be and at the same time try to completely abandon the "Capture position" feature. As I say - you learn it the hard way when importing the external component into a design, adjusting it by "Move" or "Align" within the native workspace saving and then seeing that the imported component is flying somewhere within the design after updating the native component. Not the case if joints are used. 🙂

Also, Joints really help when you are adjusting the size of your model. After updating, it follows along the desired position.

Please click on Accept Solution so other community members can see how to solve the issue.
Also, consider giving a Like to the comments that you feel helped you.

Best regards,
Level  sutherland-

Message 11 of 16
TheCADWhisperer

@sv429 wrote:

Ok great haha, I wish that Autodesk could fix the glitch anyway, but I'll use Joints for now 🙂

In order to fix a glitch - it must be identified.

When you can reproduce the issue let us know.

BTW - I occasionally do use Move, but in relatively rare cases (I always have Timeline on).

I recommend that you Attach a file here so that one of the experts here can demonstrate how they would use Joints rather than Move.  I suspect they will diagnose multiple other issues as well (are all of your sketches fully defined, have you avoided unnecessary dependencies, how about patterns).  All common beginner issues.

Message 12 of 16
sv429
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

Hello,

Sure, that makes sense. I will do.

I don't have the permissions to upload this file; I am modifying an imported file, and I'll be honest that I am doing it as quickly as possible without any formal parameterisation or fully defiining the sketches I am making (there are some good practice I have been following for 'ground up' designs that I have learnt from yt channels like yours). This is working for now, as the design are relatively a simple geometry.

I will continue the thread when/if the problem arises again, and upload the file if I can. I will try and use Joints more than Align/Move. I usually use align and move so I can visualise my problem and work on two components at the same time, being able to move them after the alignment unlike a Joint which will constrain some of my degrees of freedom; then again, this issue may be from a lack of experience and foundations on how to use Joints properly.

Thank you,

Shash

Message 13 of 16
davebYYPCU

Make a dummy file with the same problem?  

You didn’t say how Move and Align  doesn’t work.

Consider Joint the same as a Move with position locked.

You can edit the Joint easier than editing a Move.  

(Most would not edit move, they just do it over and over - counter productive nightmare.)

Might help.....

Message 14 of 16
jason6JZXV

I've had this problem too and its annoying as f***... Fusion needs to add a record function so that when their program is being a piece of poo you can simply record what its doing and upload it then they can fix the bugs in their problem resulting in fewer people pulling their hair out. I have had it where closing the file I'm working on and re-opening it has fixed the issue, I've had it where closing fusion and re-opening it fixed the issue and I've had it where nothing fixed the issue and instead of using align I've had to switch to joints or to measuring the distance between the parts and moving it that distance... too bad the feature doesn't just work better as for doing things "quickly" it is a very nice go to (when it works properly)

Message 15 of 16
TrippyLighting
in reply to: jason6JZXV

Please do yourselves and us the favor of reading through the entire thread. Chances are that you learn something that fixes you broken workflows!

EESignature

Message 16 of 16
jason6JZXV

Please do the thread a favor and offer an actual fix instead of an alternative solution to using the align tool. I did read the entire thread and there were no ACTUAL fixes listed. If I wanted to use joints I would use joints, but I want what should and usually is a simple "align" feature to work

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report