Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Fusion produce g code that I can use on my bobscnc e3 setup?

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
16252 Views, 9 Replies

Will Fusion produce g code that I can use on my bobscnc e3 setup?

I'm brand new to CNC woodworking and I'm looking for a tool to design and create my G code. Right  now I'm using Windows Paint, saving as a bmp, and opening the bmp in F-Engrave...

I'm primarily looking to design small signs, plaques, trinkets etc...  nothing too exciting right now.

Someone told me to look into Fusion 360. It looks very full featured. But I have a dumb question... I'm using bobscnc router setup and F-Engrave to generate g code. Then I use GRBL firmware on the Arduino Uno to do the cutting. It's all 2D. Will Fusion 360 produce g code that I can use on my setup? What does it export? Thank you in advance for helping this newbie...

Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Matthew-R
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous Thanks for your questions!  It looks like you're pretty new to the forum so thanks for making your first post.

Fusion 360 will post G-Code for your controller that can read .GBRL code.  After programming your part, there's a menu that allows the user to export G-Code for a wide variety of different types of machines and controllers.  We maintain an ever expanding searchable library of post processors.     

Here's a screenshot of the dialog that you'll see when posting your code.  You'll select the GBRL post and then the code will be created for your controller.

posting-code.png

GBRL.png

Also, here's a very helpful link to some Fusion 360 CAM learning material that should really help get you on your way:

Learning-Concepts-Fusion 360 CAM

Thanks again for being a member of the community and please reach out with any other questions that may arise!

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Matthew-R

Thank you!  I've been watching some of the online videos on YouTube as well.  I think that Fusion 360 may be the right option for me.  

Message 4 of 10
Matthew-R

@Anonymous I'm glad to have been helpful!  Please reach out again with any other new questions that might arise.  Thanks again!

Message 5 of 10
russcoffin
in reply to: Matthew-R

I use F360 on BobsCNC E3. I found a post processor originally written by Stroom for grbl and did some mods (mm to inches, precision, commented out some things, changed motion at beginning and end to raise spindle first and then go to a safeplace (option can be set in F360) which is not 0,0, safe Z is always clearance height). It works well so far. I have tried to attach the post file but I don't know if it will come through as this is one of my first posts to this site. Delete the .txt file extension and move into your Autodesk\Fusion 360 CAM\Posts folder.

Message 6 of 10
russcoffin
in reply to: russcoffin

Forgot to give credit and a shout-out to Stroom - I don't understand most of the code and make changes poorly but the code works very well!

Message 7 of 10
coambs

Evening, this is the closest thread I have found to my question. Hope I am not intruding.

I am building a cnc 3 axis router table. I have used fusion360 to 3d print after going through Cura.

Two questions, can I print right from Fusion? That will likely answer the second! Do I need to use a post processor in order to use a router table? I am hoping that it is built into Fusion. Thank you so much. David

Message 8 of 10
coambs
in reply to: coambs

I guess the simplest way to ask this is, can I run the table right from Fusion? DC

Message 9 of 10
seth.madore
in reply to: coambs

Fusion cannot drive a router directly, you will need a controller for that. Some users prefer the GRBL or Mach3/4 controllers, but there are many flavors out there. Pick one that you like the feel of and go from there.

Same goes for 3D printing. We can slice the file and produce g-code, but you will need to load it into the control for the printer. Fusion cannot/will not do that, ever.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 10 of 10
coambs

Thank you. That answers my question! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report