Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a button tool on fusion to xyz lathe

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
tim.phillipsKP8HV
259 Views, 4 Replies

Using a button tool on fusion to xyz lathe

Good morning, i've attached a file which i've been working on which is a mould tool being machined using a xyz protrak lathe saving the cnc file as a .cam file. I can't get the lathe to machine the code correctly, i've set up the button tool as specified in the lathe which is touch on z, then touch on the outside of the part and put the diameter in and add the tool radius which is 3mm because its a 6mm button tool but it doesnt seem to be correct. the cuts are 1mm depth but the first move it does is plunge -4mm and the diameter seem to be wrong too. I've changed the tool setup multiple times and its either not touching the job or cuts too much, anyone got any ideas of what i'm doing wrong, thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hi, You are using tip Tangent which means you shouldn't have to add 3mm to account for the Radius

alaasW8M6T_0-1716455376305.png

You would do that if you had insert center selected and you would add 6mm not 3 as the lathe is in diameter mode for x correct?

alaasW8M6T_1-1716455414617.png

Note where the black dot changes to

Message 3 of 5

So what your saying is set the tool up on the end centre which i've tried, but how do i set the lathe? centre of the tool on the outside diameter?. on the tool set screen it wants it set as above, should i just ignore that? thanks.

Message 4 of 5

Hi

What I'm trying to say is you need to set the tool in the lathe the same way its defined in Fusion

I would leave it how it is in your setup, touch on Z on the end

pro-yOTOl3oe.jpeg

Touch the tool on the outer Diameter:

pro-eknFm5D1.jpeg

In this case its 70mm so you would use measure value of 70mm, or however you set your tools in your particular controller

Message 5 of 5

Ok with your help i've managed to do it, set the tool in Fusion on centre end and did the same in the lathe but left the tool diameter as zero, machine complains(zero tool diameter etc) and I just ignored the error and it followed the code correctly, just a quirk of the machine I guess. Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report