Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uploading STP. files to Fusion Tool Library

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
jriden02
193 Views, 5 Replies

Uploading STP. files to Fusion Tool Library

I am using a new tool vendor that does not have a downloadable tool library in Fusion. There is a tool that I have the stp. file for, but it is too complicated to recreate using the Form Tool option. Is there a way to convert stp—files to the needed .json files? Or is there a way for Fusion to accept .stp in the tool library?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
CGBenner
in reply to: jriden02

@jriden02 

Hello and welcome!  I moved your post here for better visibility.  Good luck!

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 3 of 6
stephen.irvine

I'm afraid at the moment that there is no way to convert a STP file into a Fusion Tool in Fusion that I am aware of, you'd need to re-create the tool using the provided parameters as best you can.

Would you mind saying what tool vendor it is, and ideally link or attach the exact tool you are trying to create?

Stephen Irvine
Principal SW Engineer
Message 4 of 6
programming2C78B

You should be able to do a section analysis, then sketch the profile to create a form tool quite quickly!

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!
Message 5 of 6
jriden02
in reply to: stephen.irvine

Thank you for your response, the vendor is Iscar. As it turns out, they have two files available, one being a detailed stp. file and the other being a basic stp. file (profile only). I was attempting to recreate the tool using this file instead of the basic one, which is why I was struggling. With the basic file, I was able to create a form tool (which was a thread mill) fairly easily by using the project feature. 

Message 6 of 6
jriden02
in reply to: programming2C78B

This did work, thank you for your response. The only issue I am having now is that the form tool seems to be offset in the z origin when spectating it in the tool library (I tried using tip offset to fix this and it didn't work). This results in the tool cu ting above the part, not sure how to fix this issue yet. Regardless, I am one step closer!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report