Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble Drilling Hole in Converted STL

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
503 Views, 8 Replies

Trouble Drilling Hole in Converted STL

Hey folks, new fusion user here coming from Vectric VCarve, please point me where this should be if this isn't correct.

I was hoping someone might be able to advise me on what I'm doing wrong in fusion when trying to drill screw holes. I'm guessing it's to do with how my STL was coverted. The steps I have followed is the following.

• I have imported the following stl file into fusion.
  • Converted it to a brep
  • Extruded it to 2.2mm
  • Change to manufacture tab and set up pockets and contours for the keyboard switches and to cut it out of my material. All this is working as expected and when I export gCode and do a test run on my machine it looks good.

Where I'm running into issues is around the screwholes in the plate. When I attempt to either drill or pocket these sections I keep getting errors of no holes to drill or no toolpath selected. Looking at the holes themselves I see they are made up of several faces and I'm wondering if this means they're not being seen as holes? I'm using a 2mm flat end mill for these operations if that makes and difference.

Here is the fusion file itself if that makes things easier. This is the last hurdle I have before I can try machining the plate itself so any help or advice would be hugely appricated.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
seth.madore
in reply to: Anonymous

STL converted to Brep still leaves a load of triangle. The best you can do in this case it to create a sketch and use a 3 point circle on the holes. Select that point when drilling. You'll also have a better selection experience on the pockets if you Project the whole body to a sketch plane:

2020-09-20_19h48_04.png

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: seth.madore

@seth.madore so you're saying convert the brep or the STL to a sketch and then trace over with my own geomatry? I'm not seeing a sketch option when I look through fusion atm.

Message 4 of 9
seth.madore

It's in the Design Space on the left hand side 🙂

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

So the sketch is like an overlay on my 3D model that I can align my own geometry to and then use those points in the manufacture tab to drilling/pocketing like so?

scottyomalley_0-1600646989278.png

Is there some sort of auto detection that you used for the keyboard switch holes in your example above or did you manually select those points?

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

@seth.madore thanks for your help with this. Looks to have resolved my issue and I'll be able to start machining

I have one other question if that's okay, how did you take the model and highlight the circles and holes with the points in your screenshot above. Feels like I've lucked at every option available without being able to find it

Message 7 of 9
seth.madore

Sorry for the delay, this one fell off my radar

Seth Madore
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

That is far more than I was expecting! Thank you for going above and beyond with your answer and reply it's hugely appreciated!

Message 9 of 9
seth.madore

You are most welcome!

Seth Madore

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report