Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracing of text not touching surface of body

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
infinite.machinery
399 Views, 4 Replies

Tracing of text not touching surface of body

I'm attempting to use the Trace operation to engrave text in the surface of a aluminum panel. I'm using a 60 degree engraver (30 degree chamfer) to route out the text. 

The problem is that the cutter never quite touches the surface of material. I have my Z zero position set correctly and everything. I don't see anywhere in the Trace editing where I can specify an engraving depth. I'm baffled.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: infinite.machinery

Use negative axial stock to leave, like -.1 mm because there is no bottom height setting in trace and text is on top of model.

2021-03-08 20_14_07-Autodesk Fusion 360.png

Message 3 of 5

Hi @infinite.machinery  

You can either do what @Anonymous has stated or you can drop the z height in your machine controller datum by the desired depth this will work the same .

Thanks 

Josh 

Joshua Reader
Manufacturing Engineer
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: josh.reader

T3 is also used in 2D engrave and set to depth of -.25 mm in operation, to keep all engraved text done by same tool at same depth, adjust trace using negative Z axis.

Adjusting Z axis offset at the machine will overcut depth of text in 2D engrave operation.

The alternative to using negative axial stock to leave in trace operation is to offset plane to desired depth and create text on that plane rather than on top of the model.

You can also assign different offset to tool 3 in trace operation and use it at the machine that way.

Message 5 of 5

Thanks for everyone's help. I discovered that I'm battling a couple of problems here. One is that I'm trying to engrave and my work surface is not completely flat. I would get some letters to engrave and others some distance away would not. I'm going to try using a spring loaded engraver and see how that works.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report