Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tormach 4th axis post not generating

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
preSHerMed
1006 Views, 18 Replies

Tormach 4th axis post not generating

I'm looking for some help post processing for a Tormach 770 with 4th axis.

It's a core pin using 2D wrap and multiaxis flow and swarf.  The toolpaths seem to generate ok but they don't seem to post.  I've attached a screenshot of toolpaths and post processor dialog and then the resulting Onopen error.

Is there something in the config file that needs to be changed or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
seth.madore
in reply to: preSHerMed

Hello and thank you for bringing your question to the forums!

Could you export and share your .f3d file so we can provide better assistance? To do that:

File > Export > Save to local folder. Return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply.

If the file contains linked component, the links must be broken. If the file cannot be shared due to privacy concerns, you will have to email the file or PM me the A360 link

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 19
preSHerMed
in reply to: seth.madore

Hi Seth,  It's a component within a large mold assembly.  I'll break it out as a separate component and send.

Message 4 of 19
preSHerMed

Hi Seth,

Attached is the core pin file.

Thanks.

Message 5 of 19
daniel_lyall

If you look closely at the images you posted you can see some B or C axis moves in there, by turning on show axis points it shows what is the direction the tool is in.

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User
My Websight, Daniels Wheelchair Customisations.
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 6 of 19
preSHerMed
in reply to: daniel_lyall

Hi Daniel,  Thanks for looking at this.  I can't find the show axis points toggle.  Where would that be located?

I verified that the 4th axis limit has been checked for each of the multiflow toolpaths.  Wouldn't that constrain the toolpath to a single axis of rotation?

I then surpressed all of the multiflow toolpaths and left only the single 2D wrap.  The post processing generates the same error.

If I change the set up WCS so that z axis is in direction of machine spindle and x along the component rotational axis then the 2D wrap toolpath will post (when multiaxis operations are surpressed).  The cutting speed seems to increase mid cut but at least it generates a 2D wrap toolpath that drives the 4th.

Any ideas on what I should try next?

Message 7 of 19
daniel_lyall

When you post a model it helps a lot if you have the CAM, it helps in finding where you may be going wrong or if there is something wrong with your model.

What is circled looks to be going out to the side on an angle?

Core Pin Toolpaths and Post Processor.png

Show axis.

Screen Shot 2019-04-15 at 9.37.41 AM.png

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 8 of 19
preSHerMed

Thanks Daniel for the toggle show axis tip.  Very helpful.

I apologize for not including the CAM with 3D, I thought I did.  A revised file is attached.

The show axis seems to indicate that they are constrained to 4th.  Also when I suppress all multiaxis and leave just the 2d wrap I get the same Onopen error.

Any ideas on what to try next?

Message 9 of 19
daniel_lyall

It is more than what fusion can do in the 4th axes at the moment.

The reason why it is working when the Z-axis is the center of rotation is it is doing a B index then C axis move for the cutting, If you get your self a 5th axis machine this will work fine as of right now.

There is a workaround to do it where you do an index of a traces toolpath or a project toolpath.

You can do a millturn toolpath with the tormach, search this on youtube tormach millturn fusion360

We are going to get 4th axis toolpaths in fusion when do not now.

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 10 of 19
preSHerMed

Thanks Daniel.

I attached a revised file with all multiaxis toolpaths removed from the set up.  There is only one 2D wrap.  It's a single contour with constant radius and non-cyclic.

This does not post process either.

Might there be something else going on?

Message 11 of 19
daniel_lyall

This toolpath should be working fine like it is with the center of rotation along the X axis, not the Z axis, the Z axis should be pointing straight up like the pick below.

Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 9.26.45 AM.png

What tormach post are you using? Are you using the one from the Generic the Posts like below?

Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 9.24.48 AM.png

Basically what fusion needs to do to get a wrap toolpath done, is to unwrap the surfaces of the model lay it flat add the toolpath to the flat surfaces they re-wrap the surfaces. 

The toolpath in this model is 300 odd degrees around the model because it is less than 360 it is unwrapping there are some workarounds but cutting the tapper will be a problem, it is daft that a millturn or 5 axis machine can do it easily but a 4th axis machine not so much.

I will post some links to a video and attach an example soon of a way to get it mostly done.

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 12 of 19
preSHerMed

Hi Daniel,

Thanks again.

I seems like I'm unable to PP anything with Z set along axis of rotation.  Even simple cylinders with no detail.  So I'm suspecting my PP or a setting.  Attached is a screen shot of the PP I'm using and also the Onopen section.  Also a screen shot of simple cylinder with multiaxis flow that gives same error.  Would you have a file of something that should work that I can PP to see if it generates?

Message 13 of 19
daniel_lyall

What direction is your 4th axis pointing can you post a picture of it.

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 14 of 19
preSHerMed

Hi Daniel,

It's a super spacer which sits on the right side of the table and points to the left.

Thanks.

Message 15 of 19
daniel_lyall

The model will never be able to be cut with the Z-axis as the center of rotation when it is pointing along the X-axis, it can only be on the X with the 4th axis on the X-axis pointing to the left.

The 4th axis will need to be changed so it is pointing along the Z axis so it can be cut in the Z axis.

Now what I have done to get something that may be ok is using sketches for the wrapping toolpath like what is shown here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrx-8M8nRa-rNlkwIowx6Kw

I also used surfaces like what is shown here at the 46 min mark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHXjuDVcxZM&list=PLjUJwQJKr2zcR7bqxq67zKYf71Q9_LHQ4&index=26

The tapered section is a workaround that works, It has been done before and it looked fine.   

The file attached is an example and use at your own risk.

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 16 of 19
preSHerMed

Thanks for sticking with me Daniel.  The file you provided in immensely helpful.

It looks like the solution is using 3+1 and 2D wrap toolpaths with the tips you included.

Is it a true statement that, at this time, the multiaxis toolpaths with 4th axis limit toggled on are not an option when using the generic Tormach post processor?  If this is a true statement then I will limit future effort to those you mapped out.

Your use of Tabs and ramp angle on the third toolpath is interesting.  I don't fully understand what is happening but it seems to be causing the tool to spiral down.  It's the only wrap I've seen with a variable Z.  I generated an attached file which changes the wrap contour to a sketch line that is diagonal along the taper.  It seems to generate and post a promising toolpath.  I'm wondering if I can develop this further to produce a spiral taper cut.  Use the ramp as the taper cutting path and delete the portion of code that is the actual selected contour cut.  I could have ramp feed speed different than cut.  This would indicate the location in the code.  Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Matt

preSherMed  (pressure med)

Message 17 of 19
daniel_lyall

Is it a true statement that, at this time, the multiaxis toolpaths with 4th axis limit toggled on are not an option when using the generic Tormach post processor?  If this is a true statement then I will limit future effort to those you mapped out.

Yes and No it is not in the defult post but if someone needed it to have A and B or C they can be added.

If you got a 4th and 5th axis for the tormach you can do the multy axis stuff 

Your use of Tabs (I forgot to untick them) and ramp angle on the third toolpath is interesting.  I don't fully understand what is happening but it seems to be causing the tool to spiral down.  It's the only wrap I've seen with a variable Z.  I generated an attached file which changes the wrap contour to a sketch line that is diagonal along the taper.  It seems to generate and post a promising toolpath.  I'm wondering if I can develop this further to produce a spiral taper cut.  Use the ramp as the taper cutting path and delete the portion of code that is the actual selected contour cut.  I could have ramp feed speed different than cut.  This would indicate the location in the code.  Any thoughts on this?

Sometimes haveing a spirial sketch along the tapper can work sometimes your case it looks like it does (just delete the non wonted toolpaths). A spirial sketch on a straight tube works fine for the wrap toolpaths it is just the tapper that is a problem most times

The contour toolpath ramping in is something I do and always have, you dont set a depth in the passes tab you set it in the linking tab in the ramp settings, this can give a near constaint ramp, lots of people usely adopt this so they can have a constaint contact on the cutter at all times when it is cutting and smallier Gcode file size.

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 18 of 19
preSHerMed

Hi Daniel,

I attached a photo of the machined pin.  Thought you might like to see.  I made a few mistakes but result can be used to sample the mold and I will remake the pin to improve.  I'm light years ahead of where I was last week.

I would like to use multi axis with 4th.  What are the steps to change post processor to allow A axis?

Thanks!

Matt

preSHerMed

Message 19 of 19
daniel_lyall

It has come up quite well,

You just set - rotary table axis to X - with the X-axis WCS pointing to the right like the pick below it can be at ever end of the model you just need it in the correct direction otherwise it will go in the wrong direction and crash the machine.

That part is a good part for a mill-turn machine.

Screen Shot 2019-04-20 at 5.38.08 PM.png

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report