Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steep and shallow UNDERCUT

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
355 Views, 8 Replies

Steep and shallow UNDERCUT

How can I get finer results on undercut with steep and shallow? I know it's still quite new, but I bet someone here has found out something about it.😀

Sample file is attached.

Labels (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
craig.chester
in reply to: Anonymous

"finer results"

Could you please elaborate on what the problem is? Perhaps post an image if that helps?

I could suggest totally obvious things like:

Reduce the Stepover
Reduce the Tolerance

But I guess you know that and this isn't the cause of your problem

Message 3 of 9
DarthBane55
in reply to: craig.chester

I looked at it, the beginning is pretty bad where it retracts a lot for no reason. Maybe lowering the top height by just a tiny bit could help, not sure.  After that about on mid-height there are some areas where the toolpath is not smooth.

In general it is pretty cool tho!  I don't have the extensions enabled at the moment so I can't do anything with the path, but when I get some time I will try them out just for this toolpath.  I feel it is probably possible to do some engine ports now, maybe... it looks like it might work...  It is definitely a step in the right direction! 🙂

Message 4 of 9
craig.chester
in reply to: Anonymous

Ok.... If you get the opportunity to try it again, and you feel the result is bad, let me know.

If so.. Hopefully I can get hold of your project so that our development team can take a look at it.

Message 5 of 9
DarthBane55

Just to clarify, I am not the same person as the OP, I was just adding a useless comment.  I will step out now, but I just want to clarify that OP issue is not dealt with yet 🙄

Message 6 of 9
mattdlr89
in reply to: DarthBane55

@DarthBane55 

It is definitely possible to do some engine ports. I have already done this a few times. Best to use tool collision avoidance from point in my experience so far. 

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

Got amazing paths the first time I tried it. But now it's getting a little clumsy. can take a picture possibly of how it will be after machining next week. 

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: DarthBane55

yes is definitely the right direction for Fusion 360. Hope there comes a 5 axis roughing cycle soon

Message 9 of 9
DarthBane55
in reply to: mattdlr89

Ya I guess it depends on the ports...  I am talking ports that have undercut due to the elbow turn, that was not possible before this new functionality, not in 1 toolpath.  I've done ports too before in Fusion, but required more than 1 toolpath.  I should have specified the 1 toolpath thing.  1 continuous smooth toolpath finishing the entire port that has undercuts areas.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report