Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steep and shallow decides not to mill some of a wall

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
FrodoLoggins
357 Views, 6 Replies

Steep and shallow decides not to mill some of a wall

Mills the left and right side, just not the rear near the hole for some reason:q.pngScreen Shot 2020-09-09 at 9.32.19 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-09-09 at 9.32.24 AM.png

- Time Magazine’s Person of the Year 2006
- Apple M1 Max rMBP A2485 // Latest MacOS // Latest Fusion
- Usually working off files uploaded to Fusion as: Step, STL, SLDPRT. If it matters ask me.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Hi @FrodoLoggins, I'll take a look at your project in a bit. Meanwhile, have you tried having a positive value as the additional offset? A negative value will offset the boundary inwards so I don't think it'd be beneficial in your case. Also, try to un-tick Contact Point Boundary. If you tick it, Fusion will try avid rolling over corners. 

I'd also select the hole as a part of the machining boundary, or you risk machining the inside surface too (unless you want to).

Let me know if this helps.

Cheers

Paolo

Paolo Bastianelli

Technical Consultant
Message 3 of 7

I couldnt even get it to run without crashing because of all of the collisions, but it looks like that is as far as it goes because that fillet is machined from the side of the ball mill and the lines are the tools centerpoint. That is why it stops short on the upslope portion, but goes over the downslope portion. 

Message 4 of 7

Hmm, I could but unchecking CPB would not allow the ball mill to go deep enough leaving extra stock:

Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 11.35.06 AM.png

- Usually working off files uploaded to Fusion as: Step, STL, SLDPRT. If it matters ask me.
Message 5 of 7

The fillet is not only a bit larger than the radius of the ball mill, it's the same radius as the other fillets that DO get machined.

Message 6 of 7

@paolo.bastianelli any updates?

Message 7 of 7

Hi @FrodoLoggins ,

First of all, this is the same model as the one you sent where you found the Steep & Shallow bug (that I reported and is being looked at by development), so we already know that the boundary in that region is a bit "faulty" and will create a jagged toolpath.

However, I changed the offset to 0, added a boundary chain for the internal circle and de-activated Touch/Avoid. I got the result below, that machines the steeper section with the side of the tool. There'd be little point in more passes being generated, that's why it stops there.

Cheers

Paolo

Paolo Bastianelli

Technical Consultant

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report