Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

single line fonts

29 REPLIES 29
SOLVED
Message 1 of 30
MarkusMohr5941
13821 Views, 29 Replies

single line fonts

Hi,

I'm using single line fonts (CamBam and OrachTech) on the Mac and I can use them without problems in other applications. But when I use them in Fusion they show up as normal outline fonts. How to fix that?

What I'm actually trying to do is to mill numbers with a flat face. No, I don't want to engrave. Extruding is the other option but very unwieldy.

Thanks

29 REPLIES 29
Message 21 of 30
randyT9V9C
in reply to: danjlarge

@danjlarge wrote:

...nor does there seem to be a quick way to place text properly. Any ideas? 

The single line fonts have been working for a few months. I use iso.shx quite a bit. Font placement and scaling are still a major pain. The font height is assigned to the font box rather than the font itself which requires you to scale the font to get the correct height. Say for example I need 0.25" inch text, but when I measure the font it's 0.1875". In this case I have to enter the font as 0.33" to get a 0.25 font. I've committed the factors to memory for some of the fonts I use all the time but with new fonts I explode them, measure the font height, and then undo the explode. Yuck.

Message 22 of 30
LibertyMachine
in reply to: randyT9V9C

@randyT9V9C holy cow, there's a member I haven't seen in a while 🙂

Seth Madore
Owner, Liberty Machine, Inc.
Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two.
Message 23 of 30

Did this change because I cannot find it in my fonts? I have the startup business version if that makes any difference.

Message 24 of 30
seth.madore
in reply to: woodwoody17

Nope, single line fonts should still be there. You need to scroll up:

2020-01-21_07h35_14.png

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 25 of 30
danhoskin
in reply to: LibertyMachine

I have tried to do a trace operation on the single line fonts in Fusion and I am seeing a puzzling issue. The uppercase letters A and M are made shorter than all the other letters in ALL the .shx fonts I tried when I run them on my mill. The CAM looks as you would expect, but those 2 letters turn out about 25% shorter than the others in the same text frame.

I tried exploding the fonts and I get the same result.

Any thoughts? I'll attach a few pics of what the parts are turning out like.

Thanks,

Dan

Message 26 of 30
randyT9V9C
in reply to: danhoskin

Dan, some genius decided that the font heights in Fusion 360 should be the envelope height and not the font letter height. Long standing and very annoying issue. You will need to factor your font height by some value to get them to the correct height. Normally I measure the capital I or T and then factor the font by the difference. Often I explode the text, measure it, and then undo the explode.

A 0.5" ISO.SHX font is really only 0.375". If I want a 0.5" font I have to factor by 1.33.

Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 3.10.19 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-07-17 at 3.08.45 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-07-17 at 3.08.33 PM.png

Message 27 of 30
danhoskin

My problem is that one character in a word in the same text frame is consistently coming out shorter than the rest of them. Specifically the A and M. No idea what would cause this across all the .shx single line fonts in Fusion. I could deal with the height issue that you are describing, but I can't find a workaround for this one.

How are people engraving with Fusion?

Dan 

Message 28 of 30
randyT9V9C

Attach your model and the posted gcode and I'll take a look.

I posted a test using SYSTEM START text. The g-code appears correct. Check your gcode using a backplotter like ncviewer.com and verify it.

Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 6.28.45 PM.png

Message 29 of 30
danhoskin

I set my tool size diameter to .00001" and it ran fine, so I assume it was the corners were too tight on those letters to allow the bit to go to the corners. Looks great now.

Thanks,

Dan

Message 30 of 30
randyT9V9C

Make sure your Sideways Compensation is set to Center on the Passes tab. If set for Left or Right it will use the cutter diameter.

Screen Shot 2020-07-18 at 4.24.32 PM.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report