Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simulation okay, wrong cut depth on CNC

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
maudvandeveire
823 Views, 9 Replies

Simulation okay, wrong cut depth on CNC

Hello,

When I do a simulation of my project everything seems to be fine. When I run the file on my CNC. The tool moves above the stock instead of cutting it. I don't know what's wrong. Could someone help me with this?

I added the file.

Thanks a lot,

Maud

(I can't get screencast to work a the moment. It' very slow.)

Labels (3)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Tom.Hemans
in reply to: maudvandeveire

Hi @maudvandeveire,

I would guess the cause is either the tool offset or the work offset on the CNC machine. Is the tool offset on the controller the same as the length of the tool? And is the work offset (i.e. G54) in the same position on the machine as the Setup WCS is in Fusion?

Tom

Tom Hemans

Technical Consultant
Message 3 of 10
maudvandeveire
in reply to: Tom.Hemans

Hello,

I have to say I don't really understand what you mean. I'm new to autodesk and still have some difficulty with all the terminology. What I can tell you and what maybe helps is this. Before I cut with the CNC I always bring the tool down to (in my case) the piece of wood. I put a paper between the tool and the wood untill it's fixed, then I remove the paper and define this as the XYZ point. This always worked but now it doesn't.

Thanks,

Maud

Message 4 of 10
Tom.Hemans

@maudvandeveire,

Well that's one way of using a tool offset!

The point X0 Y0 Z0 on the machine should be in the bottom left corner of the stock. If it is, then you know the work offset on the CNC is in the same position as the WCS (Work Coordinate System) in Fusion

wcs.png

Tom

Tom Hemans

Technical Consultant
Message 5 of 10
maudvandeveire
in reply to: Tom.Hemans

Hello,

I think I chose a wrong position for the WCS by placing it at the bottom of the stock. I will put it on the top of the stock an look tomorrow if it gives a better result.

Thanks,

Maud

Message 6 of 10
jamesT47WA

Make sure to check your tool parameters to make sure that your tool offset is set correct. I had this issue and I had the tool number as 1 but my tool offset was 4.

Make sure your tool touch off is correct. I use a 1" gauge block and have forgotten to add -1.00" to my touch off to get to the top of the material.

Message 7 of 10

Hi @maudvandeveire, I'm hoping to add to what Tom said, the important thing to do is the same on both Fusion and CNC. In the images the real white block of plastic is your part(stock), in fusion your part is the box on the bottom of each image(stock). There are advantages and disadvantages to both, but basically where you do the zeroing (putting paper under the tool) always has to match. X0,Y0,Z0 down on the tableX0,Y0,Z0 down on the tableX0,Y0,Z0 on top of the partX0,Y0,Z0 on top of the part

Joshua Aigen
Workshop Supervisor
Message 8 of 10

What was not asked was what are you using for a post processor? If you say the tool is moving up does your post processor have an option to reverse Z direction? I know one previous poster had this option and didnt not notice it to check it.

Message 9 of 10

Hello,

It's not that the tool goes up., it's that it moves above the stock. I had experience with the problem you describe before. But then in the drawing all movements were under my stock instead of above. Then indeed I had to change the direction of my Z axis in my post-processor.

Thanks,

Maud

Message 10 of 10

Thanks a lot!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report