Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple Pocket with 1/4" Radius at bottom toolpaths(Shallow Bowl)

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
suretech1
645 Views, 3 Replies

Simple Pocket with 1/4" Radius at bottom toolpaths(Shallow Bowl)

I'm having trouble setting up tool-paths to make this cut.  I found a couple forum posts that has helped but I'm not getting the same results and would like to see what other people would choose to do( I learn well by examples).

I'm using a 1/4" Endmill and a 1/2" ball endmill (1/4" radius). I'm doing a pocket with a 1/4" radius along the bottom.

This is the bit I'm using:  https://www.homedepot.com/p/DIABLO-1-4-in-Carbide-Round-Nose-Router-Bit-DR18108/100660642

I turned compensation OFF and change compensation to .25" in the 2d contour for the ball endmill which seems to get it where I want it but it stills seems weird.

I would love to see some examples of what other people would do.  Thank you very much.

Labels (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
markkonschak
in reply to: suretech1

You could also select the outside edge as your chain and select the floor as your bottle height. Although this doesn't work well when the radius is less than 90 degrees. Your way works well in that case. I would have used a 3d adaptive to get some of the radius roughed out and a pocket to finish the floor. I've included a revised file.

Message 3 of 4
Phil.Brown
in reply to: suretech1

See the video. I use the upper fillet chain as well just drop the z axis. no cutter comp changes needed.

https://autode.sk/2VhuAYT

Message 4 of 4
suretech1
in reply to: markkonschak

All the examples has helped me greatly. Thank you.   
1. I've ended up with too much material being taken away around the edge when using the ballend mill(see photo)  Any idea what would cause this. Maybe I have a wrong entry for tool diameter(I put what is measured). Some setting I can compensate for this?  I would like to find the root of the cause.

2. Is the contour2 in the middle just a finishing pass taking of the .2" after the adaptive?  Is the .2 left over from the adaptive defined in "Stock to leave"?  Don't mind the photo. I kept "Stock to leave" turned on in the finishing process.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report