Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

setup the post processor for 4 axis rotary CNC

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
mona.alhashimi
1410 Views, 12 Replies

setup the post processor for 4 axis rotary CNC

Hello . I'm trying to create a post processor to launch my Rotary CNC Roland 540, but I'm having this error

Information: Configuration: Roland RML
Information: Vendor: Roland DG
Information: Posting intermediate data to 'C:\Users\In5Design-05\Downloads\1001.prn'
Error: Failed to post process. See below for details.
Code page changed to '1252  (ANSI - Latin I)'
Start time: Friday, November 4, 2022 12:35:41 PM
Code page changed to '20127 (US-ASCII)'
Post processor engine: 4.5911.0
Configuration path: C:/Users/In5Design-05/AppData/Roaming/Autodesk/Fusion 360 CAM/Posts/roland rml.cps
Security level: 1000
Include paths: C:/Users/In5Design-05/AppData/Roaming/Autodesk/Fusion 360 CAM/Posts
Configuration modification date: Friday, November 4, 2022 11:55:03 AM
Output path: C:\Users\In5Design-05\Downloads\1001.prn
Checksum of intermediate NC data: 041e67e1cba288280f01888a449fc850
Checksum of configuration: f7891b626c1594f58b497868be175073
Legal: Copyright (C) 2012-2021 by Autodesk, Inc.
Generated by: Fusion 360 CAM 2.0.14567

###############################################################################
Error: Multi-axis simultaneous toolpath is not supported by the post.
Error in operation: 'Rotary2'
Failed while processing onRapid5D() for record 367.
###############################################################################

Error: Failed to execute configuration.
Stop time: Friday, November 4, 2022 12:35:41 PM
Post processing failed.
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Hi @mona.alhashimi 

actually the roland rml post does not support rotary axes.

It is strictly limited to 3 axis toolpaths.

As I am not an expert in the RML specific format, so, I can't tell if it's a limitation in this mode.

Regards.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Serge.Q
Technical Consultant
cam.autodesk.com
Message 3 of 13

Thank you for your reply, so how do I customize or create a post processor that can work with Roland 4 axis Rotary then ?

Message 4 of 13

Hi @mona.alhashimi 

the roland iso/nc code mode version is prepared to support multi axis machine.

A machine configuration can be defined in the onOpen function to support up to 5 axis.

Regards

Serge.Q
Technical Consultant
cam.autodesk.com
Message 5 of 13

Thanks a lot for your support and help, so I download Roland ISO post processor and I did the changes needed for 4 axis Rotary CNC as the follow....

function onOpen() {
if (getProperty("useRadius")) {
maximumCircularSweep = toRad(90); // avoid potential center calculation errors for CNC
}

if (true) { // note: setup your machine here
var aAxis = createAxis({coordinate:0, table:false, axis:[0, 0, 1], range:[-360, 360], preference:1});
//var cAxis = createAxis({coordinate:2, table:false, axis:[0, 0, 1], range:[-360, 360], preference:1});
machineConfiguration = new MachineConfiguration(aAxis);

setMachineConfiguration(machineConfiguration);
optimizeMachineAngles2(0); // map tip mode
}

if (!machineConfiguration.isMachineCoordinate(0)) {
aOutput.disable();
}
if (!machineConfiguration.isMachineCoordinate(1)) {
bOutput.disable();
}
if (!machineConfiguration.isMachineCoordinate(2)) {
cOutput.disable();
}

if (!getProperty("separateWordsWithSpace")) {
setWordSeparator("");
}

I'm following the instruction Here for how to set up 4/5 axis machine  https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autodesk-hsm/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How...

But I'm getting this Error

"Direction is not supported for machine configuration " 

I did change it to var aAxis = createAxis({coordinate:0, table:false, axis:[0, 0, -1], range:[-360, 360], preference:1});

but still the same error, I think I'm misunderstanding something in the instruction above.

FYI I'm using Roland 540 CNC with Rotary axis.

Message 6 of 13

Hi @mona.alhashimi 

You have to change some parameters and fix the axis definition.

Your 4th axis rotary table is rotating around which axis ?

Around X : axis:[1, 0, 0]

Around Y : axis:[0, 1, 0]

Around Z : axis:[0, 0, 1]

If the axis needs to be inverted replace 1 by -1

If the axis is rotating the part table:true, if it's rotating the tool table:false.

As it's a 4th axis machine, it will probably not support tcp, so this line must be changed :

optimizeMachineAngles2(1); // non tcp table or and head config

Regards.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Serge.Q
Technical Consultant
cam.autodesk.com
Message 7 of 13

Hello again,

Thanks a lot for your effort, I did changed those in my code but I'm still getting the same error, I think my mistake in putting the correct values of the axis, Here is my Fusion Toolpath and My CNC, I'm using the option Rotary in the multi-axis bar in order to create the toolpath.

Thanks,

Message 8 of 13

Hi @mona.alhashimi 

I am not able to find and fix the error just by looking at the pictures.

Can you share your post processor, and the Fusion file, please?

You can either share a link to your Fusion file. See:
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-t...
or you can save an archive (f3d, or f3z) and share it on the forum
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How...

Serge.Q
Technical Consultant
cam.autodesk.com
Message 9 of 13

Hello again, yes sure, Here is my Fusion file https://a360.co/3tHkoKu and the Post Processor that I'm using in the attachment.

hope we can figure out the mistake

Thanks again for your help.

Message 10 of 13

Hi @mona.alhashimi 

Lots of things were wrong.

Let start from the beginning. Usually a milling machine have axis configured and named specifically.

The tool rotational axis is the Z axis, as shown in blue in the picture. Then, the X axis is frequently the longuest one, going from left to right on the machine. The Y axis is the last one, following the right hand convention. (X is the thumb, Y is the index, Z is the third finger)

E0 - RolandAxis.jpeg

Then, in Fusion, you should orient the wcs axis in the same way. In your example the part is aligned along X.

But your first definition was along Z!

E1 - What is wrong.png

So I fixed it this way:

E2 - First Fix.png

Changing the wcs orientation, we now need to correct the rotary axis definition in the toolpath.

E3 - Setting to change for new WCS orientation.png

To avoid a warning with the wcs defintion , Using G54 instead, it can be fixed by selecting the first wcs.

E4 - Settings for preventing wcs warning, Using G54.png

I fixed the axis definition, and loosened it.

Initially the axis definition was

var aAxis = createAxis({coordinate:0, table:true, axis:[0, 0, 1], range:[-360, 360], preference:1});

The direction is wrong, it should be along X, and the range is "limiting" the number of turn the machine can do.

So, the following defintion is fixing issue one, and relaxing the second one.

var aAxis = createAxis({coordinate:0, table:true, axis:[1, 0, 0], preference:1});

Your axis is not really unlimited, but 360 degree is too restrictive, and I am not sure if the machine uses a cyclic axis.

For information, your toolpath require 43 rotations approximately. So expect a "lengthy" rewind at the end of the program, when going back to G0 A0.

Regards.

PS Find in attachment the fixed elements

Serge.Q
Technical Consultant
cam.autodesk.com
Message 11 of 13
engineguy
in reply to: mona.alhashimi

@mona.alhashimi 

Try the attached modified Fusion f3d file using the attached modified Roland Post Processor, see image below for the PP modifications, I have assumed that the Left/Right axis of your machine is the X Axis so your Rotary is rotating around the X Axis. The generated G Code looks OK but I don`t know if it will run correctly at your CNC so take great care when testing this stuff 🙂 🙂 🙂

The Roland PP does not have the "Rewind" ability so I just put a large value in for the range and that allows the A Axis to keep revolving, a bit of a crude workaround but that`s all I have for now 🙂

@serge.quiblier 

Can you perhaps code this PP to have the "Rewind" capability? Reckon it would all work OK then 🙂 🙂

Roland PP Mods.jpg

Message 12 of 13
engineguy
in reply to: engineguy

@serge.quiblier 

Ah, OK, I see you have done it while I was working on it, better way than mine 🙂 🙂

Message 13 of 13

Thanks a lot for your effort and help, I was feeling that the problem is in my understanding of the 3 axis and their position, The machine is running perfect now.

Thanks again

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report