Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting Coordinate System in Manufacturing Setup to match the Plasma Cutter

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
ecnels
326 Views, 5 Replies

Setting Coordinate System in Manufacturing Setup to match the Plasma Cutter

If the Coordinate System from a Part's Design doesn't match the CNC coordinate system (in this case a Plasma Cutter), it appears that there's only partial control to change it for Manufacturing.  Attaches are 3 screen-shots illustrating the issue:

1) Sheetmetal Panel Designed and correct coordinate system aligned

2) Flat Panel created and coordinate system auto-changed for some reason?

3) Switch to Manufacturing, using the flat panel.  Coordinate System needs adjusting (pic not included, due to upload limitations of max 3 files, but the issue should still be clear - see text on included image files)

4) Adjusting the part-cutting Coordinate System to fit the physical Plasma Cutter table is a catch-22, because switching the direction of the X Coordinate also switches Y and vice versa.

The two questions are: 

- How to think about the Coordinate System from Part Design through Manufacturing Setup?

- What's a Best Practice for this workflow?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
seth.madore
in reply to: ecnels

In your first image, X positive runs along the short leg, Y positive runs along the long edge, and Z is up and away from that face. What you describe in your third image is not a valid alignment. 

The Fusion coordinate system follows the Cartesian system. It's not possible to have X going positive but Y going negative, all must be pointed in the positive direction

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 6
ecnels

Thanks Seth!  I started to reply that I know X and Y and Z start from common zero and therefore must all be positive in a coordinate system, then realized the simplest thing, that Plasma Cutter X and Y axis are NOT as I depicted them.  After returning to Fusion 360 to redefine the X & Y axis to match the Plasma Cutter, my head-space issue was instantly solved.  Thanks for the mind-spark Seth!

Message 4 of 6
seth.madore

Hey, happens to all of us! I blame it on coffee most of the time 😛

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 5 of 6
ecnels

There are still something about the Design to Flat Pattern that I don't understand.

1) Why does Fusion 360 appear to change the coordinate system for a flat pattern from the sheet-metal form on which that flat pattern was derived, i.e. from the Pic: Panel1Design to the Pic: Panel2FlatPattern?

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

@ecnels wrote:

If the Coordinate System from a Part's Design doesn't match the CNC coordinate system (in this case a Plasma Cutter), it appears that there's only partial control to change it for Manufacturing.  Attaches are 3 screen-shots illustrating the issue:

1) Sheetmetal Panel Designed and correct coordinate system aligned

2) Flat Panel created and coordinate system auto-changed for some reason?

3) Switch to Manufacturing, using the flat panel.  Coordinate System needs adjusting (pic not included, due to upload limitations of max 3 files, but the issue should still be clear - see text on included image files)

4) Adjusting the part-cutting Coordinate System to fit the physical Plasma Cutter table is a catch-22, because switching the direction of the X Coordinate also switches Y and vice versa.

The two questions are: 

- How to think about the Coordinate System from Part Design through Manufacturing Setup?

- What's a Best Practice for this workflow?

I need your suggestions

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report