Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selecting 1000's of lines at once for milling

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
ninthabandit
401 Views, 5 Replies

Selecting 1000's of lines at once for milling

I have a chess board where each square contains 20 or so lines. I want to generate a toolpath for engraving. Is there a way to do this without manually selecting each one? 

ninthabandit_0-1703868226172.png

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jhackney1972
in reply to: ninthabandit

I am hoping your layout is a single sketch.  When you go to the Manufacturing Environment, for the geometry selection in your toolpath, select the single sketch in the model browser.  Attach your model if you need help.

John Hackney, Retired
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
ninthabandit

Thank you - when I select my sketch, the toolpath goes around the chessboard in a square and stops. I get "open contours have been detected try lowering the chaining tolerance" warning. Here is my model. Would you please advise? 

Message 4 of 6
seth.madore

Are you looking at creating a groove where each line exists? I would recommend using the Trace toolpath and then selecting the Sketch as before:

2023-12-29_12h11_27.png

You will need to use either Axial Offset or negative Stock to Leave to get the tool to cut below the surface.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 5 of 6
ninthabandit
in reply to: seth.madore

This worked. Thank you!

Message 6 of 6

I know it's basically missing the point, but I would do it completely differently!

I would add two of the squares to the sketch and then use the 3D parallel operation!

Then put the whole thing into two patterns!

This way you are much more flexible if you want to change the distance of the lines to be engraved :winking_face.

Oh one thing is to do to the tool for this. It need a tip diameter! I put it to 0.001

marcustoepke_0-1704097379188.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report