Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roland MDX-50 post processor?

33 REPLIES 33
SOLVED
Message 1 of 34
dggamble
2765 Views, 33 Replies

Roland MDX-50 post processor?

I am looking for a Roland MDX-50 post for fusion with tool changer, Anyone know where to find one? I have 4 machines in different schools and I am trying to avoid aspire.

33 REPLIES 33
Message 2 of 34
KrupalVala
in reply to: dggamble

Hi @dggamble 

We have a generic Roland post-Processor and has tool changer capability. You can download it from here.

Thanks,

Krupal Vala
Senior Technology Consultant - Post Processor & Machine Simulation
Message 3 of 34
jdgillespie1
in reply to: KrupalVala

I'm not finding any Roland products in this list. Is there somewhere else to download the Roland MDX-50 post-processor and machine definitions?

Message 4 of 34
KrupalVala
in reply to: jdgillespie1

Hi @jdgillespie1 ,

We have a generic Roland ISO post processor available in our library You can download from here and access it from the fusion postprocessor library.

Additionally, I want to bring to your attention that I am currently in the process of adding the Roland MDX-50 machine simulation file to our machine library, and I will update the machine simulation capabilities of the post processor.

Thanks,

Krupal Vala
Message 5 of 34
carlingrieve

Looking forward to seeing if that machine simulation for the Roland MDX-50 becomes publicly available!

Message 6 of 34
KrupalVala
in reply to: carlingrieve

Hi @carlingrieve 

I have developed the Roland MDX-50 machine simulation file and it's ready for release in the library. I'm just waiting for final confirmation from the OEM.

Additionally, I have updated the Post Processor capabilities to include machine simulation support.

Thanks,

Krupal Vala
Message 7 of 34
carlingrieve

Thank you for the update!!
Message 8 of 34
KrupalVala

Greetings to all!

We have released of the Roland MDX-50 machine in the Fusion 360 machine library. This machine is now live and available for download here, or you can access it directly from the Fusion 360 software's machine library.

Thanks,

Krupal Vala
Message 9 of 34
matty.fuller

Thanks... disappointed to see that this doesn't include the ZCL-50 rotary axis. Are there any plans to add that?

Message 10 of 34
KrupalVala
in reply to: matty.fuller

Hi @matty.fuller ,

Do you mean this machine? 😊  Yes, it is in the pipeline.

KrupalVala_0-1696915777490.png

KrupalVala_1-1696915840571.png

Thanks,

Krupal Vala
Message 11 of 34
dggamble

Yes, that's it with the rotary attachment

Message 12 of 34
sarah_reiss

Hi @KrupalVala ,

I am very excited to see you have implemented the Roland MDX-50 thank you for the effort!

I would like to ask if you have an estimation when the rotary axis will be implemented since we have a project that is relying on this feature.

Should you have a preliminary postprocessor that has not been shared officially I would also be glad to try that out already.

Thank you

Message 13 of 34
KrupalVala
in reply to: sarah_reiss

Hi @sarah_reiss

The Roland MDX-50 with ZCL-50 machine file is ready from my end. Once I have approval from the OEM, I will add the simulation file to the library. However, I'm not sure whether we will release the machine with an ISO or RML post, as the ZCL NC code appears different to me. Once the OEM becomes available( as they are currently busy), we will look into the post-processor modification and the release date of the machine file.

Thanks,

Krupal Vala
Message 14 of 34
matty.fuller

The ISO post I've attached here supports 4 axis machining using the ZCL-50, with one caveat;

There is an issue with endless rotation, where the machine encounters a fatal error when the A axis value ticks over to 100000 degrees. Despite the documentation stating the range is  ±2146680.000°, Roland support was only able to offer "it does not support lathe machining". As such I've made the post error out if the A axis value reaches 100k, and lets you know what X co-ordinate this happened at so you can split up rotary toolpaths to finish the job.

It would be great to see an ISO post that circumvents this issue, I tried a few approaches that have worked for other machines with endless rotary axes and wasn't able to get there.

Message 15 of 34
KrupalVala
in reply to: matty.fuller

Hi @matty.fuller ,

Thank you for the information. I will make note of the workaround you've provided.

Thanks

Krupal Vala
Message 16 of 34
carlingrieve

Any thoughts why this one could be failing using this post processor?

MDX50 starts - spindle spins, moves to a position and then finishes. with no cutting or additional movement.

F3Z and NC file attached.

Message 17 of 34
KrupalVala

Hi @carlingrieve , 

Could you kindly explain the issue in the output? I can observe the expected moves(Linear , Circular) and their positions in the NC output.

Thanks,

Krupal Vala
Message 18 of 34
matty.fuller

There's a fair chance the machine can't reach the moves, especially if you're using a short tool and trying to reach the base plate. When these machines have a move that is out of bounds they just skip it and give no explaination.

Easy way to tell will be to move your origin higher up in Z and make sure there's plenty of XY travel... if the same code runs successfully with a different origin you know it's a reach issue. You'll need a longer tool or a subplate in the machine... we use a 16mm MDF board on top of the supplied polymer plate.

Message 19 of 34
elee

How do I add the rotary index you show in the picture?

Message 20 of 34
carlingrieve

Thank you both,

A video showcasing the issue - Hopefully this is enough @KrupalVala 
I'll give the origin swap over a go when back in the office tomorrow and will report back @matty.fuller 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report