Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reducing size of 2D programs and simplifying data

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
duncanHYKUU
232 Views, 2 Replies

Reducing size of 2D programs and simplifying data

Hi there

I have been having issues with Fusion 360 and exporting 2D contour toolpaths for several years.

Usually on curves I have issues with the machine lagging and data starving.

Have tried fiddling with smoothing, tolerance and even had my post modified so it only outputs to two decimal places.

Machine is a Mutlicam CNC router (Australian) 2022 model.

Currently having the post modified again so it only outputs to 1 decimal place.

It seems like a machine this new should be able to handle fairly complex code without lagging or data starving.

When I look at the toolpaths with points enabled in fusion there seem to be a ton of points along curves that cause the machine to lag when running. 

I have attached a fusion file which shows the issue I am running into. Also have included the NC file of the programs.

Original file drawn in Fusion so not imported from another software.

Any advice would be appreciated!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
a.laasW8M6T
in reply to: duncanHYKUU

Hi

The areas where there are a lot of points appear to be on edges that are splines rather than arcs, smoothing appears to have little to no effect on the number of points along these edges.

There really isn't many points anyway, like you say a modern controller should easily be able to keep up with that, even a pretty old control should too.

The machine lagging you are seeing is very likely not data starving, what it more likely is is the motion controller not smoothly linking together all the various segments of code.

does the controller have a smoothing mode? like G64 or G05.1 or similar?

I don't know what format the aussie multicam uses.

Message 3 of 3
HughesTooling
in reply to: duncanHYKUU

There is a long time problem in Fusion offsetting convex splines where Fusion adds corner rounding that messes up arc fitting.

If you set a very fine tolerance like 0.001mm and smoothing to 0.01mm you actually get a better toolpath. 3d toolpaths actually tend to work better as well.

Here's your toolpath with a 0.1mm tolerance and points displayed. Toolpath is 185kb.

HughesTooling_0-1717587935232.png

I've edited your toolpath and changed the tolerance to 0.001mm and smoothing to 0.01mm. Toolpath comes down to 106kb.

HughesTooling_1-1717588048493.png

There is another long time bug where the second ramp doesn't obey the ramp angle, I've worked around this by setting the max ramp step to 1,000mm. See attached file. I've only duplicated your first toolpath and made the changes.

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report