Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profiling with a threading tool in turn

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
CNC4XR7
473 Views, 5 Replies

Profiling with a threading tool in turn

I am trying to turn a Alternator Pulley for a ribbed belt the ribs are the perfect profile for a threading insert. but for the life of me I cant get 360 to post a tool path for a profile op if I select a threading tool?

Any help would be appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
cj.abraham
in reply to: CNC4XR7

Turning toolpaths in fusion currently lock the type of tools available for a given operation. For example, the Turning Profile operation can currently only use indexable turning tools. The Turning Groove can only use grooving tools. Unfortunately it is not possible to use a threading tool definition in a profile operation at this time.

Message 3 of 6
LibertyMachine
in reply to: cj.abraham

@cj.abraham why has this restriction been added? Is there any way there is a checkbox for advanced users that will circumvent this restriction? I've seen it pop up in several spots (threading, engraving, turning) and it's annoying. Of course, it could all be solved if Fusion would finally start supporting form tools...

Seth Madore
Owner, Liberty Machine, Inc.
Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two.
Message 4 of 6
HughesTooling
in reply to: CNC4XR7

Could you get what you need using a triangle tip setup as neutral.

Clipboard01.png

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
CNC4XR7
in reply to: cj.abraham

@Anonymous.abraham wrote:

Turning toolpaths in fusion currently lock the type of tools available for a given operation. For example, the Turning Profile operation can currently only use indexable turning tools. The Turning Groove can only use grooving tools. Unfortunately it is not possible to use a threading tool definition in a profile operation at this time.

Yes that seems to be the problem, I'm sure this is a helpful safety feature however it does limit what we can do with the cam software.

since we have the capability to enter the specs of out cutting tip and holder I dont see why we would not be able to use say a threading tool in a groove operation.

And or a custom ground tool for that matter.

Message 6 of 6
CNC4XR7
in reply to: HughesTooling

Hi Mark,

Thanks, I played around with it some more and did try the tool you suggest but it does not get the whole profile. I did find a SVVNCN tool holder and a CVGT2 insert that will work at least in F360 but I will have to acquire one $$$ in order to try it.

the pulley is a step pulley so with the 17 degree angle there is still some material left that I will have to manually remove this is also a neutral tool.

with the threading tool its LH so I could get the whole profile with a grooving op if allowed.

I may just have to write the G code myself.

Thanks for the help from you All

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report