Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with creating a Toolpath

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
autocad.mSTRX6
509 Views, 6 Replies

Problem with creating a Toolpath

Hi,

I´m very new to CAD/CAM/CNC and after some "success" with design an milling .. I´ve some problems. In theory it´s quite simple. I have a 3mm tool and some 3mm (kind of) pockets. But I´m unable to create a tool path.

Can anybody help?

There is a file attached an this is my current project.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: autocad.mSTRX6

Hi there,

Take a look at this, I made a Parallel toolpath that seems to make it. Is this what you're after?

EDIT: I found out it also works with a  0.01mm stepover and the tool dia set to 2.96 

David

Message 3 of 7

I think there are other questions that need to be asked:

What't the material?

Can this be an assembly? (2-3 items doweled and bolted together)

Reason I ask these questions: Unless you are working in wood, plunging into those deep cavities will result in disaster. Furthermore, you have sharp corners and any tooling you get into there is going to leave a radius at some point or other

I'd approach it as 2 components and simply profile everything

Seth Madore
Owner, Liberty Machine, Inc.
Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: LibertyMachine

Those are very good questions and suggestions, @LibertyMachine.

Message 5 of 7
autocad.mSTRX6
in reply to: Anonymous

Thank you .. this is what I want. I´ve seen that it´s impossible with one step because of the depth. But I use the parallel tool path for the "rounded" parts and for the deep parts I can use a drilling toolpath with a basic drill.

Message 6 of 7

You´re right .. I´m working with wood at the moment and just as an hobbyist. I started with 3D printing and designing in 2009 but to do this for a CNC maschine is completly different. Now I´ve to find my way using Fusion 360. My next question will have more details.

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: autocad.mSTRX6

I too am new to CAM and CNC. I would like to make a Dust Shoe for my CNC router from Thingiverse STL files. Following is a list of the steps I have taken to get to where I can't create a tool path. Hopefully someone can point out what step/s I've missed or where I am going wrong. I've got this far by searching other posts in this forum and following Youtube videos.

1. Select Model Workspace.

2. Set "Do not capture design history" on recomendation from Youtube tutorial.

3. Insert mesh (stl file) which comes in vertical so I've rotated it 90 deg. and moved it to ground on my XY plane.

4. Scale 25x because the stl file comes in at 1/25th of actual size.

5. Mesh > BRep. Image changes from grey lines and surfaces to black lines with gray surfaces not a solid lookig object.

6. Select CAM Workspace.

7. New Setup. 

8. Set Origin to Stock Box Point and select bottom left of top surface.

9. Set Stock to 280mm W x 165mm D x 25mm H.

10. From Tool Library select Metric - Plastic , Pocket, Flat, 6mm diam. 

11. Generate Toolpath and get the message "No operation needs to be generated."

Attached is my project as far as I've got and the original stl file.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report