Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible Tool Offset Issue

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
derinveron
337 Views, 3 Replies

Possible Tool Offset Issue

Hello everyone, I'm pretty new to CNCing and very new to Fusion360. I along with a couple of other studiomates that are learning F360 are running into problems with the Z axis either dropping or being too high. What's happening is we touch off on the XYZ manually, start the file, and wait for it to either be too high or too low. Setting the XYZ a second time fixes the issue and LinuxCNC is able to start the file with the correct coordinates. But we of course want to find the problem so we don't have to reset the XYZ multiple times. 

Someone suggested to me that this could be a Tool Offset problem within the Fusion tool settings, so I went into the Post Processing tabs of the tools that I was using for my project and I set the offsets to 0. This didn't change or fix the problem, a bit of mine still plunged way further down into my wood than I set it up to. Could it be anything else? I've attached said file here. Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
daniel_lyall
in reply to: derinveron

Nothing sticks out as wrong in the model are you setting the Z-axis work zero to the same places as it is in cam?

Now don't plunge into anything unless you are using a center cutting cutter and if it is wood there is a chance of setting it on fire any cutter you use.

The tool paths you have on the attached model are the finishing tool paths it would be better to use a roughing toolpath like pocket or adaptive before the finishing tool paths.

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User
My Websight, Daniels Wheelchair Customisations.
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 4
derinveron
in reply to: daniel_lyall

Thanks for answering my questions Daniel. Yeah I'm setting the XYZ to the top left corner of the stock, like where the stock point is in the model. The person who told me it was a Tool Offset issue also seemed very sure that it was a programming issue in Fusion, and not in LinuxCNC.

Message 4 of 4
daniel_lyall
in reply to: derinveron

Possibly but I have been told that before without testing everything else as well that idea means fa, it could be as simple as an offset that is set in the program is not clearing then the second go at it sorts it out.

Try inputting G40 and G49 into the MDI before loading up the Gcode then see if the problem is still there so it cancels all current offsets 

27. G43 Tool Length Offset

G43 <H->
  • H - tool number (optional)

G43 enables tool length compensation. G43 changes subsequent motions by offsetting the axis coordinates by the length of the offset. G43 does not cause any motion. The next time a compensated axis is moved, that axis’s endpoint is the compensated location.

G43 without an H word uses the currently loaded tool from the last Tn M6.

G43 Hn uses the offset for tool n.

Note
G43 H0 is a little special. Its behavior is different on random tool changer machines and nonrandom tool changer machines (see the Tool Changers section). On nonrandom tool changer machines, G43 H0 applies the TLO of the tool currently in the spindle, or a TLO of 0 if no tool is in the spindle. On random tool changer machines, G43 H0 applies the TLO of the tool T0 defined in the tool table file (or causes an error if T0 is not defined in the tool table).
G43 H- Example Line
G43 H1 (set tool offsets using the values from tool 1 in the tool table)

It is an error if:

• the H number is not an integer, or

• the H number is negative, or

• the H number is not a valid tool number (though note that 0 is a valid tool number on nonrandom tool changer machines, it means "the tool currently in the spindle")

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User
My Websight, Daniels Wheelchair Customisations.
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report