Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plunging Into A Pilot Hole

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
richardsalzman
88 Views, 1 Reply

Plunging Into A Pilot Hole

I am starting my first project with 1018 steel making talon jaws.  I tested feeds & speeds on the same material running a simple straight line tool path.  I used these speeds/feeds to run the part.  The top slot & threaded holes worked perfectly.  I am stumbling on the simple pockets for the screws.  For larger pocket, the top one, I used the same 15 imp and .020 WOC that I used when I tested the F&S.  Since the pilot hole that the endmill drops into is .375", I calculated the reduced feed rate as (.375-.25)/.375 x the feed rate of 15 imp = 5 ipm

For the smaller hole, since the tool holder blocks much of the ability of the fog buster to get mist lubrication into the hole, I planned on using a slower base feed rate of 10.5 imp with a resulting reduced feed rate of 3.5 imp.

I just started running this project and when the endmill dropped into the pilot hole with a feed rate of 5 imp, it began squealing and vibrating.  Am I calculating the reduced feed rate improperly?

Richard

richardsalzman_0-1722301446444.png

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Please disregard this post.  The endmill had pulled out of the tool holder.  I adjusted the F&S a bit and all is well!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report