Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plunge/Groove with neutral-hand insert

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
alundRQ4XG
189 Views, 2 Replies

Plunge/Groove with neutral-hand insert

I'm trying to rough the v-shaped grooves on the pictured part. I'd like to rough these by plunging straight down (x-axis) with a neutral-oriented V (35° diamond) insert. I can (only) get the "Turning Profile Rough" and "Turning Profile Finish" toolpaths to work with this tool, but I can't use "Vertical passes" with the roughing--I get an "Invalid Value" error...

I can get a toolpath that cuts along the Z-axis, but I will get better performance & cycle time by plunging.

Anything I'm doing wrong here, or any way to hack around this?

(Second image is the best roughing toolpath I've been able to get with horizontal passes, and the error message I get trying to set it to Vertical passes)

Labels (6)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
seth.madore
in reply to: alundRQ4XG

Sadly, I don't think this is going to be possible. I'm chatting with the Project Manager for Turning to see if there's some workaround we can suggest, but I'm not too hopeful about it at the moment..

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 3
alundRQ4XG
in reply to: seth.madore

Thanks @seth.madore for taking a look. I can get the actual code by setting up my tool as a grooving tool, but obviously that doesn't simulate correctly.

I tried to hack around this by making a Single Groove operation, Protecting the operation, and then editing the tool back to the VNMG shape. For some reason, the simulation always shows the VNMG cutting to a deeper depth after I do this switch.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report