Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part alignment and zero point workholding

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
rowleycc
176 Views, 2 Replies

Part alignment and zero point workholding

This is way more of a theoretical/fun question rather than real world practical, but here goes... 

I'm using a 4th-axis rotary equipped with a triangular zero-point tombstone.  It's modelled in CAD, with WCS set to the center of rotation/platter face.  

Theoretically, if master gauging pallets (w/precision ground bore/sides) were mounted to each face, could Fusion's Part Alignment features be used to calculate deviation and potentially improve accuracy in future machining operations? 

triangle - Copy.png

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
a.laasW8M6T
in reply to: rowleycc

Part alignment would maybe work but its is on a per part basis, so you would have to run it in each new instance of your work holding setup.

I have done something similar with a Lang Adaptor I made.

I probed the Gauging pallet in the machine and noted the deviations from theoretical and Adjusted the Joint Origin that attached the Work holding to the Adaptor/Tombstone.

Now that its calibrated in my parts come out perfect and its a one off thing.

You would have to do this 3 times for your tombstone

alaasW8M6T_0-1710958590140.png

Message 3 of 3
rowleycc
in reply to: a.laasW8M6T

I would never have thought about using Joint Origin.... A truly elegant solution.  Thank you, Sir!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums