Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outside Radius Tool

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
vpace91423
384 Views, 2 Replies

Outside Radius Tool

I have not been able to get consistency with my outside radius tools based on the input to the tool library. I have input the requested information: Flute Length, Radius, Tip Length (Flute Length-Radius) and when I program the contour, I input the depth as .125 assuming Fusion will offset the proper Tip length but it does not. Not sure why the tool library requests that information if it doesn't account for it in the manufacturing process. Currently I am programming the .203 flute length for the depth instead of -.125. 

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Marco.Takx
in reply to: vpace91423

Hi @vpace91423,

I'm not able to test now within Fusion 360, but I see you have turned ON the New Tool Library.

There are some BUGS in there.

Do you see the same behavior in the old tool library?

(Within the preference (right upper corner) -> within the Preview Features - Turn OFF the New Tool Library)

If my post answers your question Please use Accept as Solution & Kudos This helps everyone find answers more quickly! 

Met vriendelijke groet | Kind regards | Mit freundlichem Gruß

Marco Takx
CAM Programmer & CAM Consultant

Message 3 of 3
engineguy
in reply to: vpace91423

@vpace91423 

It is slightly odd the way that Fusion approaches the Radius operations, basically when you program your Contour Fusion doesn`t know just where you want the TOP edge of your Radius Tool to go to, you have to tell it by setting the Bottom height correctly.

In the image below you will see the two main methods of selecting Geometry for a Radius cut, one the left of the model is the way most used working from the modelled Radius where the lower edge of the Radius is selected and that is the Bottom height as set in your Heights Tab, if you have set your Radius Tool to a simple 0.125 Radius without any Tip length then the Top of your Radius Tool will go to the top of the stock, however if you have made the tool longer and not set the bottom height accordingly then the 0.078 you set for the extra length of the tool needs to be added as a - (Minus) value to the Bottom Height setting.

If you are using an edge of an unmodelled radius as in the right example in the image, in this case because the bottom edge defaults to the Contour selected then you need to set the Bottom Height to the full length 0.203 and it will work fine.

Example file attached, I have used your values for the tool used.

Yes, it would be nice to have the software do all the work for you but for now that is the way it is designed to work so as long as the user remembers to set the Heights correctly then it will work fine 🙂 🙂

Radius Tool Settings.jpg

Hope this clarifys things a little for you 🙂 🙂

Regards

Rob

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report