Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Operation for drilling many clean holes in plywood with accurate dimensions?

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
jasonwebb
1624 Views, 20 Replies

Operation for drilling many clean holes in plywood with accurate dimensions?

I'm working on a project where I need to create essentially an oversized pegboard out of 3/4" plywood, with each hole being 0.52" in diameter.

I'm able to nest all of my panel designs onto two 4x8' sheets quite snugly, which means that the panel designs themselves are in the neighborhood of 48" wide by either 30" or 60" or so long. The attached screengrab should make a little more sense with those dimensions 🙂

I'm thinking of using a 1/4" or 3/8" spiral upcut end mill and a peck drilling operating to quickly drill out the centers of each hole, then come back with a similar sized compression cut end mill to do a circular finishing pass on each hole to get the diameter nice and accurate, and the edge to be clean and smooth. Now that I think of it, I may jump up to a 1/2" end mill for both operations, since my holes are just slightly over 1/2" anyway. Same questions though.

I'm able to work out the peck drilling operation no problem, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to set up the second operation to finish all of my holes. From the Fusion 360 Help docs, I see a Circular pocket milling operation that sounds promising, but when I use it in the software the machining time jumps up to well over 7hrs - making it quite expensive for me.

Does anybody have some clues for how I can make my holes in a more reasonable amount of time using the operations in Fusion 360?

20 REPLIES 20
Message 21 of 21
raycon2010
in reply to: jasonwebb

13mm bit makes sense.

Possibly call a tool maker/vendor and have a bit ground. You could have the roughing and finish in one plunge. Nice if you don't have a tool changer.

I'd check the fit tolerance first and come up with accurate min/max hole peg dimensions.

+.01(inches) on the hole is quite loose.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report