Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[OPEN] Looking for feedback - Additive Multi-Axis Deposition extension preview

25 REPLIES 25
Message 1 of 26
robert.bowerman
1816 Views, 25 Replies

[OPEN] Looking for feedback - Additive Multi-Axis Deposition extension preview

Hi everyone,

As of the November 2021 update, we have released an extension preview for Additive Multi-Axis Deposition toolpaths in Fusion 360. These toolpaths are primarily aimed at driving machines with Directed Energy Deposition technology and enable Fusion 360 users to deposit material onto planar, cylindrical, revolved and arbitrary surface types.

To access this functionality, head to your preferences, preview features and turn on the “Additive Multi-Axis Deposition” feature flag.

robertbowerman_0-1638371478528.png

A complete walkthrough of the workflow can be seen in the following tutorial:

Fusion 360 Additive Multi-Axis Deposition Toolpaths 

We’d really appreciate your feedback on this functionality, so feel free to share your thoughts, comments and ask questions in the following thread.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26

I am attempting to try this with a laser powder DED system. I am having trouble with posting. I am generally pretty comfortable with editing a post to get code formatted for my machine, but I can't seem to find a post that doesn't fail. Currently, I am just trying to post one Feature Construction tool path. Additive posts (ei XYZ printing) fail because milling tool paths are not supported and mill posts fail because they don't recognize Feature Construction as a toolpath type. Is there a recommended post I can use to get started with this?

On the CAM side, there are a few features I'd like to see for toolpath control:

1: Lead in and out movements. On my equipment, I generally keep the powder on constantly and only fire the laser when I want to deposit material. I use lead in and out moves to ensure the machine is fully up to deposition speed before firing the laser. This helps prevent over-deposition at the beginning and end of each line.

2. Minimum line length. On a part with a curved boundary like this cylinder, I sometimes see lines that are too short to effectively deposit. If there was a minimum line length in the fill parameters these errors could be eliminated.

mcarrollGT_0-1638795647492.png

3. Retracts. On a lot of DED equipment retracts are unnecessary because the standoff distance is sufficiently far from the deposition surface. I was able to get my part to not retract between passes with linking parameters, but I have a persistent warning about the safety distance being set to zero. A way to turn off retracts in the heights tab would be nice.

Message 3 of 26
kyle.kershaw
in reply to: m.carrollGT

Hi @m.carrollGT 

Apologies for not having a MADE (multi axis deposition e?) example post in the Library. Here's a link to a pre release version of that post.

When you get looking through the code, search for isMadeOperation(). This function is used to determine if the operation is of "deposition" type and searching for its instances will highlight the changes to a milling post that are required for DED (or is it MADE?)

Near the end of the post code, just before onClose(), look for '// Start of multi axis deposition DED logic'. This section contains the 'DED control' logic.  Setting up the deposition conditions happens in the madeBegin() function. Turning on gasses and stirrers, setting power levels, that type of stuff happens here. The beam control\power on and off happen in the onMovement() function. Really pretty straightforward.

I should also mention that the Tool type is used to select the DED process type. Arc wire, laser powder, or laser wire. I'm sure you've discovered this by now. I say it so others reading will know the process type is controlled by the tool (and the tool properties are where the process parameters are set)

Check it out and ask questions. Either here or by private message if we need to take it off-line.

Kyle

Kyle Kershaw

Technical Consultant
Message 4 of 26
kyle.kershaw
in reply to: kyle.kershaw

Just realized I gave you half of what is needed. I have 2 Machine Configuration files to share. One for 3-axis output, the other for 5-axis (BC table table). This link will get you both. The same post is used with both, the machine configuration tells it what kinematics to use. 

Kyle Kershaw

Technical Consultant
Tags (2)
Message 5 of 26

Hello everyone,

first of all, good job on the extension. I am currently configuring my post for laser powder depositioning. I think the tool type and name associations for depositioning tools are currently incorrect. In a test programm with depositioning for all three types (see attached), I have used them in order of:
-laser powder

-electric wire

-arc wire.
However, when dumping the NC-Programm, the output is (in order):

-tool.type=39 (TOOL_DEPOSITING_ELECTRIC_ARC_WIRE, electric arc wire)
-tool.type=41 (TOOL_DEPOSITING_LASER_WIRE, laser wire)
-tool.type=40 (TOOL_DEPOSITING_LASER_POWDER, laser powder)

Also, when just outputting the laser powder part the dumper just outputs the first line as above. Probably just a litle coding error, should be fixed nontheless. Greetings,

Colin Barth

Message 6 of 26

Hi All 

I notice the link to the pre-release example DED post above is broken. Go here for that post. The Machine Configuration link is still intact.

@colin.barth 

Thanks for the report. I saw that too. It's been reported as CAM-33063 and is fixed in post engine v4.5834.0. I used this 'quick fix' to make things come out right until that correction hits. (in onOpen, at the end of the tool table code, just before the final writeComment(comment);)

{ // tool.type counter incorrectly displays multi axis deposition DED tools. CAM-33063
          if (tool.type == TOOL_DEPOSITING_ELECTRIC_ARC_WIRE) {
            comment += " - " + getToolTypeName(TOOL_DEPOSITING_LASER_POWDER);
          } else if (tool.type == TOOL_DEPOSITING_LASER_POWDER) {
            comment += " - " + getToolTypeName(TOOL_DEPOSITING_LASER_WIRE);
          } else if (tool.type == TOOL_DEPOSITING_LASER_WIRE) {
            comment += " - " + getToolTypeName(TOOL_DEPOSITING_ELECTRIC_ARC_WIRE);
          } else {
            comment += " - " + getToolTypeName(tool.type);
          }
        }

Kyle Kershaw

Technical Consultant
Message 7 of 26

And in full transparency, there's another bug lurking that you might encounter. If the post has been configured to keep the laser (or arc) on during 'transition' moves (MOVEMENT_LINK_TRANSITION) the feed rate is zero (F0). Reported as CAM-33377. 

kylekershaw_2-1639429333777.png

The quick fix for this is this code near the top of onLinear, onCircular and onLinear5D.

// multi axis deposition workaround for zero feed on deposition transition moves CAM-33377
  if (isMadeOperation() && movement == MOVEMENT_LINK_TRANSITION) {
    feed = currentSection.getParameter("operation:tool_feedDepositing");
  }

This F0  is fixed and slated for a near term minor release. Hopefully the fix is out before you need this. Just putting it out there in case you discover it too.

The post linked to in message 6 has quick fixes for both of these issues. 

Kyle Kershaw

Technical Consultant
Message 8 of 26

And another aha moment. The stock dumper doesn't know about deposition. Here's a pre-release version of one that does.

(attachment removed)

Kyle Kershaw

Technical Consultant
Message 9 of 26
kyle.kershaw
in reply to: kyle.kershaw

And I stand corrected. The current dump.cps post does know about deposition toolpaths

Kyle Kershaw

Technical Consultant
Message 10 of 26

Good news!!!!!!!!

The two existing bugs, that had workarounds in the post, has been corrected in the 12/14 minor release  v2.0.11894.

I'm attaching a pre-release version that removes the workarounds.

If you get in the post, look for places where isMadeOperation() is called. That will illustrate exceptions for DED operations. Look to the bottom for the file for a section labeled '// Start of multi axis deposition DED logic'. The bulk of the DED code is stored here and the place to go to edit in the specific start stop get ready codes for your implementation.

The attached .zip has two Machine Configuration files as well. Out of the box, and without using a machine configurations,  the post makes 5-axis AC table-table code. Using the 3-axis machine configuration you can get 3-axis output, use the 5-axis configuration and get BC table-table out.

If you get in there and have questions, please post them here or message me directly.

Kyle

Kyle Kershaw

Technical Consultant
Message 11 of 26
kyle.kershaw
in reply to: colin.barth

Hi colin.barth
The Fusion 12/14 minor release v2.0.11894 fixes the mismatched tool type issue

Kyle Kershaw

Technical Consultant
Message 12 of 26
fghadamli
in reply to: robert.bowerman

Hi All, 

I am experiencing some trouble posting with the post processor for this geometry. 

Is there a way to engage the 4th axis (A) for this type of toolpath? 

fghadamli_0-1641233367289.png

Message 13 of 26

Hello @fghadamli 

The key to getting "A" code is in the Machine configuration. The Machine configuration defines the kinematics of the target machine among other things (like what post to use). I am attaching an example part, a 4-axis about X machine configuration, and the resulting NC code.

Upload and open the '4-axis about x ded.f3d' example part. 

Go to the Machine Library  and import the 'autodesk_generic_4-axis_a_ded.machine' Machine configuration.

kylekershaw_0-1641253116748.png

Select the imported machine in both the Setup and NC Program dialogs.

kylekershaw_1-1641253315912.png

kylekershaw_2-1641253497831.png

With those set, generate NC code. You should get "A" code as shown in the '4-axis deposition.nc file.

Questions?

Kyle

Kyle Kershaw

Technical Consultant
Message 14 of 26
fghadamli

@kyle.kershaw Thanks a lot for your quick response. It worked well!

Message 15 of 26

Hello all.

I want to make you aware there is a new "deposition" template post processor in the Fusion post library, "Deposition sample post processor". "Deposition" inferring built to use toolpaths using the multi-axis deposition technology found in the Feature Construction DED toolpath. While this "template" post will make "generic" NC code, the primary purpose is to illustrate what needs to be added where to add multi-axis deposition capabilities to an existing post.

Kyle

Kyle Kershaw

Technical Consultant
Message 16 of 26

@m.carrollGT 

Be aware there is now toolpath editing in the Deposition space. This is the tool to remove those small pieces that fall below the "minimum line length" rule asked for above. Doesn't do it automagically yet but this is a fundamental  tool that enables you to remove those sections

kylekershaw_0-1646338043183.png

Kyle Kershaw

Technical Consultant
Message 17 of 26

Hi,

I have been using DED for many years now, but without any CAM, just by programming logics. As I came across Fusion 360 DED option, its working great with 3-axis. How do I get to generate paths for cylindrical surfaces? Is it because generic additive machine is only 3-axis and no 4th axis in it. I am new to the CAM, really appreciate your help on this. I actually use a Kuka Robot with 4th and 5th external axes. I wish to generate paths on cylindrical / rotary objects.

Please help further. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Kedar

Message 18 of 26

Hi @kedarnath.pulipaka , 

That's great to hear you've been making use of these toolpaths. Is your issue with generating the toolpath, or post processing the code for the robot? 

Generating the toolpath should be fine, you can use the cylindrical base option. However, today Fusion robot posts don't support external axis, so it won't be possible to run the toolpath on your robot. 

Thanks, 

Rob

Message 19 of 26
Thorpydo

I do not see the 'additive multi-axis deposition' option. Is it only available in the paid version or has it moved past 'preview features' stage?

Thanks!

Message 20 of 26
robert.bowerman
in reply to: Thorpydo

Hi @Thorpydo

Thanks for your message. You can find the option to enable these toolpath within the Preview Features list (click on your profile in the top right corner > preferences > preview features) by searching "Additive Multi Axis Deposition". I've just checked in the latest update and they still appear. Currently they are still available without any extension. 

Thanks, 

Rob 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report