Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie cutting to specific depth

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
apostM2K9B
231 Views, 3 Replies

Newbie cutting to specific depth

Thought I had a grip on how this works, but apparently not.  I've got a simple test...a block with a 4mm deep hole in it.  I have not figured out how to set the heights (at  least I think this is my problem) so that it cuts 4mm deep.  It always want's to cut all the way through my stock.  I've set my stock to 6mm thick, 4mm deep hole.  Seems simple.  Maybe it knows I'm lying to it and am actually cutting into a 3/4" piece of MDF???

I've tried 2d pocket and contour and 3d contour.  My only results are cutting all the way through or getting no toolpaths at all.  Any thoughts?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
apostM2K9B
in reply to: apostM2K9B

I'm trying a 2d pocket.  In geometry I've selected the opening of the hole.  In height, I'm trying to set Bottom Height to selection and then trying to select the contour of the bottom of the hole, but I have not been able to select either the circumference of circle at the bottom of the hole or the bottom of the hole itself.  All it lets me select is "component"  HELP!!!

Message 3 of 4
apostM2K9B

Nuts..Never mind.  Select the bottom contour of the hole in Geometry and Selected Contours as the bottom Height.  Sorry thrill seekers....

Message 4 of 4
porsbym

You should be able to just select the circumference or the face at the bottom of the hole for the geometry in 2D Pocket. It will then default to that height for the bottom of the hole.

If you pick the geometry at the top, you will need to adjust "Bottom" on the heights tab. If you do "From Top" and set the offset to -4mm it should also work.

Alternatively, try and share your file here and I'll take a look.

/Mark

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report